Exide Battery

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought replacement Exide batteries for both my e9 and my wife's Tii. The catalog list a group 42 with 500 CCA the group 47 is the same physical size but provides 600 CCA, I put 47-60's in both my e9 and my wife's Tii. I'm not sure what the BMW OE part # is but these are industry #'s any auto parts supplier should be able to work with these.

Doug

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I have a group 47 Interstate in both coupe and 2002 and they fit fine. The group 42 is designed for the 2002 type of application with lower Ah and CCA. There is an equivalent BMW branded Exide for that application but I can't find one for the group 47.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Battery #

I found this, I'm not sure if this will help, the brand is VARTA 61 21 8 381 708 EMPTY BMW BATTERY - 55AH (12/68 to 11/75.

Doug

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks. I found an e36 65Ah Exide battery but I don't know the dimensions. Varta was replaced with Exide around 2005 by BMW as their supplier. I may need to make a trip to the dealer as BMW doesn't list the generic Group numbers.

Chris

Reaction score
Chris, My battery came from South Bay BMW about 3yrs ago. The part #61218377129
its only a 50ah-450a battery. Has a small glass to look in to see the condition of the
battery, fits fine.
paul brounstein

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I was going to go over there today. The 50Ah 450A is probably fine since I also have the lightweight starter as well.

Chris

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you're keen on a quality black-case battery (same color as many original BMW cell cap batteries), Sam's Club sells Johnson Controls batteries under the "Energizer" marketing label. These are really no different than Interstate batteries, since it's the same manufacturer. Price, however, is much cheaper than Interstates.

I went with one of these because Interstates are no longer all black; they now have the white body / green top color scheme that does not look original. I guess this allowed the Energizer sub brand to adopt the all black scheme. The Energizer labels are easy to peel off. You can easily replace these with OEM-looking decals. Varta ones are available on EBay.