Euro-spec bumpers for 1973 CS (US)

acat2002

Reaction score
What is the best method to shorten the gap between the bumpers and cowl on a US-spec car?

1973 US-Spec CS

Are there differences between US and Euro bumpers? or is the main difference in the mounting brackets?

I know others have done this and couldn't find a topic in this forum when I searched. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[/img]

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IIRC it's just the brackets and the bumper guards, otherwise the bumpers were the same worldwide. You could source shorter brackets from an earlier US car.

acat2002

Reaction score
thanks, I knew it was probably more involved than a couple of bolts. Anything follies I should avoid when moving the bumper end mounting holes? Also, where the best place to find the brackets?

84E24

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 from Carl. They are 1972. p/n 51 11 1 810 525 & 51 11 1 810 526 at $55.50 each.

Thanks,

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bumper assembly pieces of the pre and post 73 are the same saved for the mounting brackets on the end pieces. On the pre 73 bumper ends, the mounting bracket which mounts to the fender with a single bolt is recessed in more than the 73 units. The 73 bumper ends mounting points are welded further out than the earlier units. The spacers used to separate the bumpers to the fenders are also different. The pre 73 bumpers used a hard plastic strip whereas the 73 bumpers used a thick solid plastic spacer. The strips are still available new. It is probably a good idea to invert the 73 bumper horns' rubber guards for a better look.

Here are all the various different bumper parts.
http://bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=3435&mospid=47811&hg=51&fg=15

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

m_thompson

Reaction score
Please save the '73 bumper parts, they only fit USA model '73s. The 1" thick rubber spacer between the body and the rear bumper is very difficult to find.

The front left bumper bracket on mine is bent, so I would be interested in buying yours.