Euro Bumper Conversion Bavaria E3

naccer

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone converted an E3 from big bumpers to small?

If so, any advice for covering the three square holes that previously held the boge shock absorbers? I know the correct way to do this would be to change the valence, but this is a $3k car, and well it's not worth the body work.

Any thoughts or solutions are much appreciated.

Same goes for the front, if anyone's seen a piece of rubber to cover the gap left by the boge impact absorber.

Thanks ahead of time. I have two of these with US bumpers, and two sets of small bumpers so if nothing else I'll be an expert on this after this weekend.

Best, Neal

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Neal, I have not done a conversion but just my 2 cents. Doing the swap will immediately increase the value of your car. Even though you say it is a $3K car, they are climbing every day like all the other collector vintage cars. It sounds like you want to turn it into a more aesthetically pleasing car and I think that would be my first upgrade with a post 73' Bav. However, where I wanted to say something was take your time with it. While the bumpers are off, take the time to fill the holes properly and do the conversion with class. Don't cut any corners, they will only come back to bite you later and usually make it more difficult to fix, especially when you had the chance to do it the right way the first time. Filling those holes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Get some help with a fellow board member and have fun with it. Good luck, make sure to take some before and after pics and post. High value on your $3K e3 is now $27.5 concours so think about that. In the long run I'm sure you will get your money out, and have a better looking car to boot.

naccer

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement

The bad news is I have two of these to do, the good news is I have two of these to do...interestingly the front bumper on the green one went on fairly easily.

The back with filling three holes as you mentioned is a bit of a thing, at least for me and the conversion isn't really as straight forward as popping the old off and putting the new ones on...there's a junker here I could take the tail panel from, but there's a no power saws rule at u wrench it...so not really sure how to get it off the car.

It's body work, and can be solved with money...

Best, N

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 243

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow...$27.5k for a concours E3? I love hearing that! Maybe I will take my time with my resto..:)

restart

Reaction score
I go dislexic on these up/down things, and the pic is sideways which makes me epileptic,
But I am go out on a limb and say...
Are the front overriders upside down?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I go dislexic on these up/down things, and the pic is sideways which makes me epileptic,
But I am go out on a limb and say...
Are the front overriders upside down?

No they are correct. Only the 73' like mine look like Grandma boobs, not perky boobs like his and the rest of the years. The metal portion of the over rider is the same, the rubber is different and cannot just be flipped. That is why it is very hard to find.... the 73' rubber over riders. If you ever come across a set, or even one, let me know I'll buy it (them) from you.

restart

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. So much to learn.
I guess mine are 73s. So much minutiae to keep track of for someone who can barely keep track of what years of cars they own.
My biggest problem with selling parts is pricing. I am just poor enough to want to get as much as possible and just rich and enough to feel bad doing it. :)
A

No they are correct. s. The metal portion of the over rider is the same, the rubber is different and cannot just be flipped. That is why it is very hard to find.... the 73' rubber over riders. If you ever come across a set, or even one, let me know I'll buy it (them) from you.