Emergency flasher switch/blinkers not working

ChrisMc

Reaction score
I had a new Alpine radio installed and my emergency switch(ES) failed (ie it is in flash mode and non-functional). The ES depresses and indicator light goes on, but it does not engage. And the signals do not work as wiring goes through the ES.
Is there any chance that a wire was disconnected off the 7 prong switch and caused the above to happen?
Appreciate any inputs.
Thank you.
ChrisMc

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Go check your wiring to the switch- if signals worked before and not after the install- they knocked something loose? Follow the turn signal wiring from stalk to harness connector- still together?

Cmac

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll check those wires. My question is would the mechanical behavior of the ES be affected by the wiring? Or is it a physical switch issue that can be replaced/repaired?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a new Alpine radio installed and my emergency switch(ES) failed (ie it is in flash mode and non-functional). The ES depresses and indicator light goes on, but it does not engage. And the signals do not work as wiring goes through the ES.
Is there any chance that a wire was disconnected off the 7 prong switch and caused the above to happen?
Appreciate any inputs.
Thank you.
ChrisMc
When you say "does not engage" it sounds like a mechanical engagement problem description. In that case it would stay disengaged (out) and flashing as you describe. In short, pushed in is not flashing, pushed out is flashing, and if does not toggle between in and out it failed mechanically. I think.

jmackro

Reaction score
When you say "does not engage" it sounds like a mechanical engagement problem description. In that case it would stay disengaged (out) and flashing as you describe. In short, pushed in is not flashing, pushed out is flashing, and if does not toggle between in and out it failed mechanically. I think.
Right! And if it has failed mechanically, then the failure probably doesn't have anything to do with the radio installation. Those switches commonly fail in this mode as they wear out.

However, ChrisMc also wrote "And the signals do not work as wiring goes through the ES" which has me kind of confused. ChrisMc: are you saying that the turn signals don't work because:

- Since the E-flasher button is always out, all four corners are flashing, so naturally you can't signal a L or R turn?

OR

- Even when you manually hold in the E-flasher button, and stop the flashing, the turn signals STILL won't work?

If the latter, then yes, it sounds like a wire got knocked loose.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"And the signals do not work as wiring goes through the ES" has the benign interpretation Jay suggests.
Else the Green-White wire going to pin 15 of the ES may have detached...

Honolulu

Reaction score
If your flasher switch button won't stay depressed (flashers on) then you need to open it up and straighten the little aluminum finger in it. This was well known back in the day, and IIRC applies to 2002s as well (where I learned about it).

Hope this helps someone.

Cmac

Reaction score
Problem solved by buying new ES switch form Maxmillian Imports. Required 8 pin for CS dashboard.

Cmac

Reaction score
Please give the old switch to someone on the board. It can probably be fixed as Honolulu suggests and reused.
Thank you for all the inputs. I'll make switch available for someone in need for original for rebuild. BTW it is a 3.0CS dashboard, hence confusion on replacing in the CSi body.(7pin - CSi, 8pin w resistor short-CS)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where in NE are you? Perhaps Harry (Koopman) can take the old switch and have his son repair it. He is in Uxbridge Ma