Electric window switches

hplug

Reaction score
switches

I have a shelf full of switches, I also can get some new ones witht the right spades. Let me know if I can help,
H

jmackro

Reaction score

qcabra

Reaction score
switches

Hi,
No problem. Please let me know if I can help. I have the blue BMW books to use as a reference as well. Not sure if that will help. If you're in a jam and I have one, it's yours for free.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
window switches-two types

In an earlier post the statement regarding conversion of front electric windows to manual was often done is a little mis-leading.

All US spec E-9's and virtually all other E-9's came with rear electric windows--the German rational being it was impossible for a driver to reach a manually operated rear window--sound thinking. Most front windows were manual as factory stock equipment--electric ones being an optional extra.

It followed that Hoffman Motors specified most US models with electric fronts just as the vast majority of US models came with Leather seating--it boosted the price stealers eerrr dealers could charge and most early US buyers wanted those extra cost luxury items along with factory A/C.

BTW--the BLUMAX has manual front windows--perhaps overlooked by the original owner while all other options except metallic paint was chosen by him.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
BTW--the BLUMAX has manual front windows--perhaps overlooked by the original owner while all other options except metallic paint was chosen by him.
Maybe he had the opportunity to test a CS with power windows before he bought!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Possibly Bill--the original owner of BLUMAX #16 was a young Army Officer from a well to do family in San Marino, CA--a very high rent community even in 1969--

He had somehow learned of these special cars at a very early stage of US model production and ordered it through Hoffman Motors for factory delivery in Munich. Delivery occured on Oct 1, 1969. He was stationed in Europe at the time and perhaps had learned of them at that early date by exposure to the first year Euro 2800 CS models. BLUMAX is a US spec 2800 CS and I can't ask the original owner if he had test driven before purchase--I learned recently that he died at an early age--around 50 or so from a brain tumor. Just a fact or two missing of the almost complete history I have of the car--now in my stewardship since early Feb. 1972.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Someone offers them on ebay with some regularity. Of course, I looked just now, and didn't see any. He charges $10 apiece or so. Probably better than trying to get inside your old ones, but if you're looking for a challenge......

jmackro,

I have bought 2 switches from this guy in simi valley. They are as nice as they look. He has lots of them....so if someone bids higher than $10, be patient and the vendor will have more for sale. The switches he sales look almost new and the chrome piece looks great.
abe

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks for giving me/us a good laugh Bill !!!

What still beats me, is that one of my cars, has noticeably faster operation of the door windows than the rest of them. Yes, I know about the cleaning and greasing of all the parts, and this car is no different to the others, i.e. I have done the job on all of them. It is the early, sardine style, motors, but so are several others. 2 of my cars have the later motors and these are among the slowest of them all.

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I pulled one of the switches out, and this is what I need: looks like a Euro to me?

Attachments

• IMG00145-20100227-1222.jpg
    IMG00145-20100227-1222.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 122

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have the `73 and later switch, the top of the switch is smooth and doesn't have the raised ridge in the middle of the rocker like the earlier switches.

mdf

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to all those who replied I now have rear windows that open and close albeit very slowly. I made jumper wires to connect the spade terminals to the round terminal switches and after lubing the rear and motor the electric windows came back to life. Its funny but I totally forgot that there are switches in the back as well.