Electric window switches

mdf

Reaction score
I have decided to get my rear windows working. The first place I looked was under the center console and I noticed that the window wires were not hooked up to the switches. Easy fix- right. Well the electric window switches have round terminals not spade terminals (like the wires). Before I go any further I thought that I should consult the forum.

Are these round terminals correct for an 1972 E9? The wiring harness is original so I can only guess that these switches aren't correct.

Any input appreciated.

-MF

PS my car has manual windows in the front but there are four electric window switches in the console, but there is only wiring for 2 windows. My guess is that this console and the switches are not correct for the car.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I would surmise that your guess is correct.
A 72 E9 has spade type switches. Can be picked up on the BAY all of the time for a reasonable cost.

Now what other changes did the PO jerry rig?

Should be a cheap and easy fix.

jmackro

Reaction score
my car has manual windows in the front but there are four electric window switches in the console, but there is only wiring for 2 windows. My guess is that this console and the switches are not correct for the car.

Well, anything is possible once previous owners get their wire cutters out.

Is your car a US-delivery or European car?

- If US, it probably came with all four windows as electric. Converting the fronts to manual using European components was a popular alternative to fixing the electric operation. Perhaps the PO have just snipped off the wires for the fronts at the switches.

- If Euopean, I believe the console still had 4 switch holes, and block-offs were installed at the front positions. Are those present on your car?

mdf

Reaction score
No block offs

There are round terminal switches in all off the holes. Has anyone else seen these?

The wires have spade connectors. There is only wiring present for 2 electric windows. I wonder how I find out if my car is a euro delivery car or US?

-MF

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have time to post some pictures of the car, the center console, the switches and wires we can do the forensics really easy. You probably have three wires per switch
and per window motor, but just to be sure. The choice of switch depends on that.

A.

mdf

Reaction score
Window Switches

Attached is a picture of the rear of the window switches with round terminals.

-MF

Attachments

• swit1.jpg
    swit1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 278

mdf

Reaction score
3 spade window switch

I've noticed at various web sites that I can easily find replacement window switches - but they all seem to have 4 spade connectors. Can I use these with a wiring diagram that calls for 3 connections at switch?

Thanks.

-MF

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've noticed at various web sites that I can easily find replacement window switches - but they all seem to have 4 spade connectors. Can I use these with a wiring diagram that calls for 3 connections at switch?

Thanks.

-MF

I have never seen the switches in your picture.
If you have a three wire setup then you can use the original 4 spade switches.

jmackro

Reaction score

I would think so. My '70 2800CS uses the switches with 4 spade terminals - but only three have wires connected to them. The fourth is unused.

So, assuming the motor & wiring are the same in your car, then yes, the replacement switches that you found will probably work OK. You may have to do some experimentation to figure out which wire goes on which switch terminal.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have these same switches with the round commections on my US `73. The switch surface itself (the rocker) is smooth. Earlier switches (ala 2800CS) have a raised ridge in the center of the switch, I assume these are the ones with spade connectors as Jay describes. The early switches are seen more frequently on eBay than the later I have noticed. I never knew they had different connections though.

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,

A slight hijack...in going through my car yesterday, I noticed two of the four electric windows were not opening...I have a very stock 1973 CS (USA)...so I switched around the switches (ha ha) and it seems as though I have two faulty ones from the four...all the windows work great individually.

My question is, is it better to have the original stock ones repaired (and if so where), or should I look to source replacements (and if so where)?

Thanks,

Matt.

jmackro

Reaction score
My question is, is it better to have the original stock ones repaired (and if so where), or should I look to source replacements (and if so where)?

Someone offers them on ebay with some regularity. Of course, I looked just now, and didn't see any. He charges $10 apiece or so. Probably better than trying to get inside your old ones, but if you're looking for a challenge......

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys,

A slight hijack...in going through my car yesterday, I noticed two of the four electric windows were not opening...I have a very stock 1973 CS (USA)...so I switched around the switches (ha ha) and it seems as though I have two faulty ones from the four...all the windows work great individually.

Thanks,

Matt.
Is this the switch your car has?
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...c&utm_campaign=shopzillaA&utm_term=0343302003

If so then they can be carefully opened for cleaning and even rotated to use a new pair of contacts.
New ones probably look shinier.

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope, not those ones...they are either 5 or 6 pins, and the pins are round...

I will check ebay, thanks for the help!

qcabra

Reaction score
Switches

I can PM you my phone number and email some photos later. I have a few cars from which I can pull the switches later and take photos. If you're in a jam, I can send you at least one for free. I've seen switches on Ebay too but I'm not sure if they're the ones you're looking for. I bought laminated wiring diagram off Ebay that has been helpful as well. It might be worth buying. I'm not sure how good it is but it worked for me with a few things. I'd defer to those with more experience (almost anybody haha) to see how good they really are. Please let me know.
Good luck!

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great to discuss, I will try to take a couple of pics when i have time.

Simufly

Reaction score
Window switches.

Euro switches do have round pins not spade. I have just checked on my e9 and yours look just the same.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Window switches

The change between window switches with spade connectors and those with round pin connectors was during the 1973 model year. According to the orange parts books, this started with the following VINs:
3.0CS 2213396
3.0CSA 2231938
3.0CSi 2264525
3.0CS (USA) 2240634
3.0CSA (USA) 2250501
The wiper motors, gearboxes and regulators also changed then.
I believe these later switches were also used on later E3s, E12s and E24s.

During the 6 years of production, many E9 parts changed. You can't assume that the part in your E9 is the same as all the others.