Electric Issue.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK so let me try to explain this.
One some coupes and in the CoupeKing reprint owner's manual the first 3 fuses from L to R are all 5A yellow. Mine are white, red, yellow.

everything works electrically in my car except the right rear taillight and the right front running light that is part of the turn signal.

A strange observation: When HBChris and I were putting the lights back in the power to the terminal was good. Now there is no power to that terminal.

Another Observation: When I tried to kluge the rear lights together with an additional wire, i blew the fuse at position 3 and position one. I replaced the 5A at position 3 and tried the lights and it blew again but this time nothing additional was connected.

last observation. The red fuse at position 2 looks like it is showing signs that it too will go soon.

I will replace the first 3 fuses today. I am wondering what the problem could be?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
electrical gremlins

Stan - sounds like the right side circuit might be shorting somewhere. That would make sense if, when you tied the left side rear lights together with the right, that both fuses blew. Have you tried disconnecting the power wire at both the rear and front lamp housings and removing the fuse, and then checking if there is continuity with ground? (ie, a sign of a short somewhere in the wiring). If the wire is not shorting to ground then reconnect each lamp housing one at a time and check again.

Alternatively, could the turn signal switch have a problem? The switch will turn on the parking lights with the key off. I suppose you could disconnect the plug from the turn signal switch to see if the problem goes away.

good luck,

61porsche

Reaction score
A yellow fuse

is 5 amps vs the white at 8 amps. ( Not a huge deal IMHO)

As Sven says there a short.

I'd remove the trunk floor panel on the right, reach back around the fuel neck, pull back the grey/ red wire and brown that used to be hooked up to the rear side marker that was elinimated and also jives with what you and Chris had going on once- it was once hot. ( Rear most board screws? before the boards went back in?) Make sure it's not dangling without the black connectors and taped up.

Pull the connector to the tail light. Put the fuse back in. Test the grey/ ? wire with a probe light or volt meter. If that's ok then plug the connector back- if it pops the fuse something is going on with that rear right assembly.

The other thing on rear lights- it's easy not to get the connectors on all the way. Halfway won't work.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
is 5 amps vs the white at 8 amps. ( Not a huge deal IMHO)

As Sven says there a short.

I'd remove the trunk floor panel on the right, reach back around the fuel neck, pull back the grey/ red wire and brown that used to be hooked up to the rear side marker that was elinimated and also jives with what you and Chris had going on once- it was once hot. ( Rear most board screws? before the boards went back in?) Make sure it's not dangling without the black connectors and taped up.

Pull the connector to the tail light. Put the fuse back in. Test the grey/ ? wire with a probe light or volt meter. If that's ok then plug the connector back- if it pops the fuse something is going on with that rear right assembly.

The other thing on rear lights- it's easy not to get the connectors on all the way. Halfway won't work.

The trunk floor panels are both out and have been out for a while.
When the car was painted and the side marker holes filled. VSR removed the wires. I don't find them anywhere. CHris and I unwrapped the wires and we think we found the stubs and taped them off.

Pulled connector and tested with a probe light. nothing

I think if I can find out why electricity is not getting to the grey wire (even tho it was a couple weeks ago) I can get the light to work.

QUESTION. Should I check the ground wire from the front turn signal even if the turn signal works?

61porsche

Reaction score
Iffin

the side marker wires can be found, prove to be good ( hot) , the simple temporary solution ( perhaps permanent) would be to use that wire ( circuit) since it's the same and presumably good. Since there were two lamps( bulbs) before; running one shouldn't be a problem. Mark it well so some suspecting person will know what you did.:shock:

Temporary is the word though. I'd still go back and find what is causing the direct short even if I had to borrow or buy a tone generator ( Lowes or Home Depot) like an electrician or phone guy uses and go over the whole back half. The wire and whatever is causing the short is Likely ( Murphey's E9 law) to happen again and blow the fuse.