Electric Crate Motor For classic cars.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless the point is to explore another path history may have taken if Ferdinand Porsche would have focused in 1898 on battery development:

The Egger-Lohner was a carriage-like car driven by two electric motors within the front wheel hubs, powered by batteries. This drive train construction was easily expanded to four-wheel drive, by mounting two more electric motors to the rear wheels, and a four-motor example was ordered by Englishman E. W. Hart in 1900. In December that year, the car was displayed at the Paris World Exhibition under the name Toujours-Contente. Even though this one-off vehicle[14] had been commissioned for the purposes of racing and record-breaking, its 1,800 kg (4,000 lb) of lead–acid batteries was a severe shortcoming . Though it "showed wonderful speed when it was allowed to sprint",[citation needed] the weight of the batteries rendered it slow to climb hills. It also suffered from limited range due to limited battery life.

yes, but then you please drive an egger-lohner and not an e9,....alles in ordnung !

As villa adriana in Tivoli (II century), had excellent heating system for winter, far more unefficient than the XII century cathedrals, but a marvel in its time, it is one or the other... :)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two motors diverged in the engine bay, and I—
I put the one less accepted,
And that has made all the difference.

QUOTE="deQuincey, post: 275221, member: 1817"]
yes, but then you please drive an egger-lohner and not an e9,....alles in ordnung !

As villa adriana in Tivoli (II century), had excellent heating system for winter, far more unefficient than the XII century cathedrals, but a marvel in its time, it is one or the other... :)
[/QUOTE]

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Peter has a great suggestion: go ahead and put electric propulsion in a plastic Cobra, or VW-based 356. Add the big fender flares, 500w stereo and cupholders while you're at it, and there's no harm done. But don't destroy an irreplaceable artifact just to build something that won't be accepted at shows or on tours and in the end will seldom be driven.

Your argument is based on the assumption that all auto enthusiasts care about car shows, structured tours, and hide their cars in their garage. I know numerous E9 enthusiasts that rarely frequent car shows, and when they do they aren't bringing their car. They drive their cars all the time. I haven't been to a make-specific, or even a European car show in 20 years. Cars and coffee wouldn't be such a wild success if people weren't interested in sharing their creations without the watchful eye of the car show judge. I mean no offense to the many folks that enjoy the multitudes of accolades and awards that you receive for your cars. It is indicative of your attention to detail and hard work. It also allows non-owner enthusiasts to witness and enjoy your hard work. This just isn't for everyone, and I suspect that those that want an electric conversion will likely drive the hell out of them.

In my opinion, I like old cars because of the novelty. carbs, manual windows, four speed transmissions, doglegs (manual transmissions in general), unspent fuel, etc. They are all novelties. Electrification of classic cars is a novelty at the moment as well. In the next ten years it will be the norm, and a the novelty of a carbeureted M30 will be all the more compelling. My daughter will never learn to drive a vehicle with a gasoline engine, or a manual transmission. She will only know of them by looking at what is in my garage.