Easiest way to remove frost plugs

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the past I think I used a slide hammer and drilled a hole, but I don't want the chips falling down the block and my motor is still in the car so the slide hammer will be difficult. Anyone have a favourite DIY method?

Tia.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob I did mine by using a punch large enough that it didn't puncture but it sufficiently rotated it such that I could grab it with vise grip pliers and rotate it back and forth a bit until it slides out.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is what I'll do. Thanks Luis. What type of sealant did you use with the new plug?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I punched a hole in mine and stuck a large bolt in it and used a large socket with a fender washer and tightened the nut to pull it out. It's tough doing under the manifold. I think you can knock it askew and pull it out as Luis suggests. Don't worry, it can't fall into the block.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
hi i can not help cause i do not know what are you talking about:o

The Freeze plugs are the circular metal pieces that keep the coolant in the block and pop out if the coolant freezes. There are quite a few on an M30 Block.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob I did mine by using a punch large enough that it didn't puncture but it sufficiently rotated it such that I could grab it with vise grip pliers and rotate it back and forth a bit until it slides out.

+1
this is the right way
hit them a little latteral, not in the center, and they will rotate as luis says

Mike Goble

Reaction score
hi i can not help cause i do not know what are you talking about:o

They are often called freeze plugs, Welch plugs or core plugs. The holes in the block are a result of the sand casting core supports, and these holes are machined to accept the plug. Early engines used a threaded pipe plug, but then the Welch Brothers developed the common press-in version.
These plugs may or may not pop out when the coolant freezes.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if coolant freezes ... more likely water ... if it freezes, its usually in the radiator before the block. but i guess up in the permafrost area where NICAD lives - the block could freeze too. won't happen here in atlanta