e9 vs todays´cars,....size matters ?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My theory with cars is analogous to home aquariums. The larger the tank, the larger the fish will grow.
Hence obesity in America can be tied to ever increasing space in th vehicles that constrain us for so many hours a day.
Or is it the other way around? Hmmm... in any case, I am staying trim driving my E30 Cabrio.

gwittman

Reaction score
This thread is so true. I used to think my Coupe was a mid-pack size car. The past few years when I walk out into a parking lot, I have noticed how small my Coupe is compared to the rest of the cars, but I would not trade it for any of them. Classic style is more important to me than size.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when i sold the 911 and started looking for something to buy / drive daily ... i looked at and wanted to like the M2. it has a lot of engine, but its 1000 lbs heavier than the 911 was ... and you really noticed that while going around a roundabout (full circle) and trying to accelerate out of it ... it wanted to leave the circle at 3/4 by pushing out. that is the thing about new cars - they are very heavy ... i was surprised at the weight difference between Audi and BMW - for similar sized cars, Audi was lighter. i ended up buying a TTS as it has almost the same speed as the 911, just slightly less power but twin turbos help a lot ... and then there's the quattro. yes, at the ragged edge, the 911 is a much better car ... i just don't drive there much anymore. i am really looking forward to getting my coupe back and work on getting it all back together to enjoy.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't we go through the big car period before? I washed my dad's 68 Caddy every saturday so I know how big cars were....and now we have SUV's driven by too many who have little to no depth perception. The upside is that potholes have not increased in size at the same rate so the chance of trashing a wheel is less with an SUV.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Didn't we go through the big car period before? I washed my dad's 68 Caddy every saturday so I know how big cars were....and now we have SUV's driven by too many who have little to no depth perception. The upside is that potholes have not increased in size at the same rate so the chance of trashing a wheel is less with an SUV.
But our road surfaces have gotten much worse, increasing the demand for trucks and truck like vehicles that can stand up to the pounding.

CeylonstonE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
3 series Bmw F30 is same size as previous generation 5 series E39

After 2010, everthing was getting stupidly bigger and bigger. Now 3 series became 5 series and 5 series became 7 series

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 850 coupe…..
84404FBE-1D6E-443E-9259-B5E0CC4B5654.jpeg
FEDC3C01-61C2-49DD-8163-FF6D3E6431BB.jpeg
703A1542-0E37-4987-944B-1FBC241CCD93.jpeg
0522134A-A205-478C-A401-B095CABC4895.jpeg
is wider but similar to its great great grandfather.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not convinced they're that much larger, as a passenger. If you search interior and trunk volume specs it's not as shocking. E90 trunk cubic feet is 17. E30 is 15. I think most of the size has come from safety features around the outside. Airbags take space, thicker doors, more electronics, space used for things other than the occupants. So yeah they're bigger no doubt, and WAY safer, and I still choose my coupe on sunny days.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I remember when I was driving my 2002 one day and a Honda Accord pulled up next to me at a stop light. This was 20 years ago, but even back then - I was struck by how large the Honda was compared to the 02.

IT has only gotten worse since then.
Especially with the trucks.....

Eko75

Reaction score
Love that thread.
I do not have pictures with my e9, but a few with other cars...

Let's start with a (supposed to be) small car and my MGB...
IMG_1202.JPG

And let's continue with Godzilla next to the 2.4s

20180301_091432.jpg

And finally, the same 2,4s next to its elder sister...
Seriously guys... what happened??

20180110_230931.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here’s my Saab next to a Rolls-Royce Cullinan. I’m willing to bet an expensive dinner that my Saab easily has more cargo space than the Rolls. 900 hatchbacks are absurdly practical.View attachment 177002
That almost looks like a Photoshop.... Jeezzee
I will be getting a new truck in the next couple of years. I have a 20+ year old F250 and really really wish the new ones were not so friggin huge.... My 2003 is too big as it is.