E9 resto site

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys, if you have not checked out fellow couper vraned's web site: www.vranedom.com , please do. Fantastic restoration of his coupe, the level of documentation is simply amazing. A must see!

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
nice movie and the perfect soundtrack too....

I want to see that car when its all done, - looks like the ultimate labor of love.

pj

Reaction score
Erik
David lives like 3 blocks from you , you should hit him up, really nice guy with mad skills. Hows that pimped coupe going?

PJ

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember meeting up with him and you all here in town that day and noting that he was here in the South Bay- SJ as I recall. We'll have to get a drive going in Spring time to check out his car hopefully.... although the weather here has been warm and sunny all month it's about time to mothball the coupe in my impossibly small garage.

I remember seeing his machining of the die for the panel repro once before too. That is intense. I hope he sells it to Mobile Tradition to recoup some of his costs and to keep them producing panels.

Just goes to show what can be done with time, devotion and, like you said, - mad skills....

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the props, dudes. Here is the latest: cnc-machined aluminum fender grill (upper) compared to old stock chromed-plastic grill. I still need to work out some bugs with the code, and my TIG welding. Subsequent copies should be sweet.

1f9e106e520a126312ca2a01589fda7a.jpg

corsachili

Reaction score
I can't even begin to convey how impressed I am with the quality of your work and the level of detail in your restoration. It ranks up there with Paul Cain's 2002, Tom Yang's Ferrari, and an Alfa Romeo restoration that is on the Alfa bulletin board. Your work is truly inspirational.

Sincerely,
-tj

Upset99

Reaction score
OMG! I am not worthy. Perhaps and your Contractors can do additional pre-paid orders for us "members"? I would love to take my certain parts of my Car to the next level.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The work is very impressive. Very nice touch.. I think there is a market for those cnc machined grills. As someone has stated, I too would be interested in a 4 piece set...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
vraned said:
Thanks for the props, dudes. Here is the latest: cnc-machined aluminum fender grill (upper) compared to old stock chromed-plastic grill. I still need to work out some bugs with the code, and my TIG welding. Subsequent copies should be sweet.

Put me down for a pair of fender grill subsequent copies...

I removed the driver side grill and actually the look of that black patch is kind of pure and aggressive. A pirate look of sorts.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
The grilles have been crying out since new for someone to come along and apply that kind of talent to a complete set made of aluminum. Looks fantastic for a first pass.

I'm sure lots of us would enjoy having grilles that don't shatter, break and discolor as easily as the old plastic do. Or new plastic for that matter.

And it would be nice to encourage this kind of upgraded manufacturing/restoration part production too....

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the interest. I'm going to move this over the parts section. I'll post details there tonight.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I like to introduce myself...bought a 1973CSi Chamonix from "coupeguy" in Colorado. Car should arrive in the next two weeks.
I also like to tell you that it is a wonderful job you are doing and count me in for those grills if you ever start producing them.
Very nice site...thank you
abe

corsachili

Reaction score
Vraned, how did your "media blasting" experience go? Did they use plastic media? I'm going to need to find a place to strip the body on Chela's Alfa in the not too distant future. It looked like you had your CS body done in Lodi, is that right? Would you use media again?

-tj

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
TJ,

Precision Stripping and Coating
921 Vine Street
Suites F&G in Lodi
Phil & Cheryl Stokes Owners
209.333-1212.

Impressive facility, professional operators, highly recommended.

They use a "metalized grit" that was very gentle on the body. All state of the art, CA-legal equipment. The booth can fit a 48" trailer. Five years ago, their lead time was about 5-weeks to strip my entire shell for $560.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
TJ,

No, I primed it myself with PPG DPLF-40. Very easy to shoot, but sanding primer or topcoat should go on top of it within 72 hours. Beyond that, it must be resanded to regain its tooth.

David