E9 order of desireability

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd separate out the CSL City Pack cars and the early really lightweight CSL's.

Yes, agreed. Carb'ed early CSL should be #2 or even #1 on the list, especially in in Inka, Taiga, etc. Make it an Alpina early CSL and that vaults to number one on my list, if you can be certain it is real. Like the one that Ben Miller had at Legends of the Autobahn this summer.

Personally, I think the BAT kit is ugly, despite its historical significance. It might confer the most value, but the wing ruins the lines of the car. The race cars looked cool, but the wing just looks silly on the street, the same way a triple decker whale tail on a 911 looks.

Scott

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
An interesting side note would be an anonymous listing from Hagerty/Grundy as to what each owner has set their E9 value at for replacement purposes.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Yes, agreed. Carb'ed early CSL should be #2 or even #1 on the list, especially in in Inka, Taiga, etc. Make it an Alpina early CSL and that vaults to number one on my list, if you can be certain it is real. Like the one that Ben Miller had at Legends of the Autobahn this summer.

Personally, I think the BAT kit is ugly, despite its historical significance. It might confer the most value, but the wing ruins the lines of the car. The race cars looked cool, but the wing just looks silly on the street, the same way a triple decker whale tail on a 911 looks.

Scott

+1

But OK - to be comprehensive:

1. carbed CSL
2. non-bat LHD CSL w/o city-pack
3. any other E9 in good shape - "rust-free", model doesn't matter

Colour
On early cars 69-71
1. malaga
1.5 colorado
2. baikal
3. tundra

On later cars 72-75
1. ceylon
2. taiga
3. baikal
4. polaris

Top-options:
1. 7x14 Alpina rims with correct tires (Vredestein, Michelin)
2. LSD
3. sun-roof

But I also consider an early 2800CS in Bristol, even with an auto box to be a sought after car as long as the body is solid and the car original. To me that's more worth than a 3.0 with a later injected M30 with L-jet or Motronic...

My 2c ;-)

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 I'd rather have an early Alpina carbed CSL before a BAT even though it may be less valuable, I prefer that over the BAT look.

Scott

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Steve,
I'm sure an early Alpina carbed CSL would get a higher sales figure if up at the same time as a bat - let alone that it's much rarer AND cooler! ;-)

Last edited: