E9 Alternator

Beemer70

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a new alternator for my CSi? Seems cant find from usual parts companies - Might have to send it off for reconditioning I guess - anyone know if any of the ebay ones would fit?
Thanks
M

Attachments

• IMG_6528 2.jpeg
    IMG_6528 2.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 68

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Where is HK? Is that Hong Kong or somewhere in Kansas?

If you are able to find a shop to rebuild it, I'd do that first. Bay is always buyer beware.

Bosch makes an internally regulated alternator, I do not have a part number.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
The cheapest option would be to rebuild/refurbish. Sometimes you just sending them one and they are resending repaired other.

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
If its not making noise but failing to produce 13.5V+, just
replace the voltage regulator for about $40. The brushes wear out.

swapping in a new regulator is easier work than r&r'ing the alternator itself.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, my experience is most "failures" are the diodes in the voltage regulator. Sometimes brushes wear out. I have never had bearings go bad.

When I needed mine rebuilt a couple of years ago, Bosch was rebuilding their alternators in a factory in China, using Chinese bushings, diodes and brushes.

I found a guy about an hour away who rebuilt mine with Japanese parts.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, my experience is most "failures" are the diodes in the voltage regulator. Sometimes brushes wear out. I have never had bearings go bad.

When I needed mine rebuilt a couple of years ago, Bosch was rebuilding their alternators in a factory in China, using Chinese bushings, diodes and brushes.

I found a guy about an hour away who rebuilt mine with Japanese parts.
I agree. Diodes most often the problem.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don, would you suggest saving the old pulley if you go with the AL-45? I almost had clearance issues with my PS belt.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The "diodes" and the voltage regulator are two separate components in the alternator. Some replies are implying that the "diodes" going bad are in the voltage regulator. There are no diodes in the regulator but it is the regulator that most often causes problems and is a 5-15 minute job to replace so it's worth doing first if no precise diagnosis is being conducted.

The rectifying diodes can also go bad but less commonly than the regulator (and brushes in the regulator, if built-in) and it requires more know how and disassembly of the alternator to replace.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don, would you suggest saving the old pulley if you go with the AL-45? I almost had clearance issues with my PS belt.

i don’t send pulleys back- I keep them.

note that the al45x I cited is now out of stock…

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The place I use is actually a " Starter motor rebuild shop " , they also do alternators.
I'm assuming you mean Rite-Way in the city. They are pretty amazing. Seen stuff like 250 GTO and Bugatti Type 35 generators and starters sitting on the shelve waiting for pickup in the weeks before Pebble