E3 Lookalike?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An Audi 100LS (C1) came up for sale near me. My father had one as a company car in the early 70s. I think he would say it was the worst car he ever had.

But, they look like a shrunk version of an E3. That is to say they are pretty cars.

Audi-100-LS-four-cylinder-engine-1760-ccm-74-kW-100-bhp-1969.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 7.55.43 AM.png

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you hadn't told me I would never have known. Put some Roundels in the appropriate places, off you go to market. But your dad was right. Any early Audi was the worst car to own.

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you hadn't told me I would never have known. Put some Roundels in the appropriate places, off you go to market. But your dad was right. Any early Audi was the worst car to own.
You are very correct. My brother had an old Audi with a turbo (I forget the model), and I initially thought "Wow! How cool is this? Nice score!". A few months into his ownership he was becoming jealous of my Chevy Corsica!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was not the best time for Audi...

In Europe it was car for people in a hats (if you know what I mean).

There was much nicer car (or even the nicest of any Audi from that time): 100 coupe S

I think they are even more rusty than BMW E9s.

The only part which really does not fit to such a GT is 4-cylinder engine... Maybe that is why it have had specific Customers?

Christoph

Reaction score
The first Audi 100 were often said to be reliable, economic, and remarkably quick. Nobody in the family had one, so don't know if this is correct. Agree with @Krzysztof about the hats: most owners wore hats, also when driving. A lot of Audi 100 drivers were not too young and very conservative, often wearing light to medium grey suits all the time. It was the car for senior high school teachers, those who taught German, Latin, or History. Veeery few Maths or Biology teachers here. The rest of the cars were owned by senior heads of public administration, not by the mayors themselves, though. Most Audi 100 came in beige, the rest in white. Colours similar to Inka, Pastellblau or Mintgrün were offered in later years but hardly ordered. Better not take a risk. Childhood memories from Germany, of course. Might have been all different in other places.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first Audi 100 were often said to be reliable, economic, and remarkably quick. Nobody in the family had one, so don't know if this is correct. Agree with @Krzysztof about the hats: most owners wore hats, also when driving. A lot of Audi 100 drivers were not too young and very conservative, often wearing light to medium grey suits all the time. It was the car for senior high school teachers, those who taught German, Latin, or History. Veeery few Maths or Biology teachers here. The rest of the cars were owned by senior heads of public administration, not by the mayors themselves, though. Most Audi 100 came in beige, the rest in white. Colours similar to Inka, Pastellblau or Mintgrün were offered in later years but hardly ordered. Better not take a risk. Childhood memories from Germany, of course. Might have been all different in other places.
I really enjoy hearing the perspective of home market guys Cristoph and Krzysztof about the car in back in the day. The classic cars for me are a time machine to somehow be immersed in an era I wasn't part of but have an interest in. Thanks guys.

CSBM5

Reaction score
My dad considered one along with the Mercedes sedan when looking for what alternatives to a Bavaria might exist back in late 1971. He concluded the Bavaria was the best choice of the three for his desires and ordered one in early 1972...took delivery in April 1972. I do recall him ruling out the Audi rather quickly. My lobbying for a range of muscle cars failed. I wanted him to get a 'cuda convertible with the 426 Hemi or at least the 440 6-pack, and if a GM built car was the ticket then a SS454 Chevelle.

We actually had rather in-depth conversations comparing various cars versus what he desired (he was coming from 10 years driving two C2 Corvettes and then a 1968 Firebird 350HO convertible which was to be traded in). The Bavaria (with a manual trans of course) best met his desire for performance and handling in a sedan versus gas mileage, usability (four doors, large trunk), "advanced" suspension/brakes (i.e. IRS plus 4-wheel discs), power/acceleration versus gas mileage, etc. He had me build and present my case for the other cars for his consideration, but I guess the pull of the Bavaria was too strong, lol. Little did I know at the time (I was 13) that he was preparing me for the future by having me study (fact find), build a presentation and back up my conclusions with the facts/opinions I had found/developed.

One of things that really opened my eyes to the Bavaria was a promotional film that you could watch at the dealer showing the design/testing/development of the E3 including dropping one on its roof. Max Hoffman must have known that "hemispherical" combustion chamber was a great marketing statement here in the US at the time, since it did suck me in thinking perhaps there's something to this car and engine after all, lol. The sound of the M30 up through the gears was sweet music sitting in the back seat during my dad's test drives. He owned it until I bought it from him in 1980 when he bought an E23 733i. I owned it another 14 years.