E3 engine option ?

Paul02

Reaction score
Ok Fellas is this an option ?
You told me last week that I can use an E12 3.5 in my coupe and I may go that route.....But........I have an E3 ,3.3lia which I think is called a bavaria in USA. The car itself needs work on the body but the engine is sweet.
Now my goal is not extreme power but I want fuel injection. Would this 3.3 engine do the job and could I marry it up to a five speed box.

Also I have this car so I don't need to buy a doner car .

Cheers Paul

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Sure, it is a M30, it would work fine. The wiring may take a little working, but other than that, no problem. As far as the 5 speed goes, you should be able to bolt up a standard 5 speed easily, but you will still need the driveshaft cut, more than likely. The main issue is the speedo drive, as the later transmissions lack the mechanical speedo drive the E9 requires without going to an electronic drive using (more than likely) some form of Hall sensor.

Paul02

Reaction score
Matt

Point taken , trouble is I am not clever enough or do I have the workshop to do much of this stuff myself. So because I am paying for the labour I need the easiest route in terms of getting my carbed automatic turned into an injection manual car. I already have the 3.3 engine and have just recently fitted six new injectors which were not cheap. Anyway it's either buy an E12 (whole car) ,take off the bits I need , Or use the 3.3 from the E3.
Whats the easiest.
Paul

MichaelP

Reaction score
Paul02 said:
Whats the easiest.

It sort of depends on the condition of the 3.3Li and the M535i. They're both somewhat rare cars, and it would be a shame to cannibalize and trash one if in good shape otherwise.

It might be a good idea for you to do some research on what's involved with the various injection systems you've asked about. "Easiest" short term may not be "easiest" in the long run. The 3.3Li is Bosch D-Jetronic, which can be finicky to deal with and expensive to replace parts on the long term. Search this forum for "D-jet." The M535i is Bosch L-jetronic, which can be more robust, but has its issues nonetheless. Here is a site to look at in regard to both systems:
http://www.tonybmw.co.uk/boschdownload.html

Paul02

Reaction score
Decision made with the help of you guys regarding my last two posts.

The E12 it is , maybe I'll sell the dogleg box and get a normal 5-speed ( your thoughts ? ) as I only want it for cruising around and not racing.

Also I am assuming my 74 3.0cs hasn't got a lsd , correct ? if so would you fit the E12 lsd.

Eternal thanks to those in the know !

Paul
London

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
How to tell if you have a limited slip differential

Your 74 CS could have an limited slip - they were an (expensive) option when new. If you can get under the car and look at the left side (from the rear) of the diff case, in front of the output shaft, there will be numbers stamped in the case. If there is an "S", you have a limited slip. These stamped letters and numbers are pretty faint and may be hard to see. The numbers denote the gear ratio, i.e. 38 & 11 for the 3.45 you probably have. 3.64 ratio is 40 & 11 and the CSi 3.25 ratio is 39 & 12.

E12 diffs are interchangeable.

One point no one mentioned for your proposed swap to fuel injection is that you will have to have some provision for fuel return circuit to your fuel tank.

Bert-Ola

Reaction score
matthewp said:
that motor has a rare crank...........don't waste it.
Sorry to say, but your wrong there.
Only 3.3 with carbs has the 88.4 mm crank.
The 3.3i has the usual 86 mm crank.

Good decision to go with the M535 engine, one of the sportiest m30 BMW ever made.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
The 3.3Li E3 is a L-Jet, not a D-Jet. Very good motor, lots of torque, reliable injection, smooth running, not as thirsty as a D-jet.
The L-jet doesn´t lend itself well to any further mods for more power, but other than that, it´s a good injection.
The 3.3Li most likely also has the ignition without points.
It would be a very easy swap to the E9.

The 3.3 also runs smoother than the later 3.5.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
The dogleg "sports" 5-speed are fragile units. Besides, the M30, even in 3 Liter carbed version is so torquey that in the relatively light E3/E9 bodies the shorter gearing is kind of pointless (unless you go (drag)racing).
The overdrive, regular h-pattern Getrag 265 gearbox on the other hand is almost indestructible, the OD gives better mileage and more relaxed cruising and is therefore the much better option.

When you find a dogleg 262CR, sell it to someone and buy a 265...

I´d rather stick with a 4-speed 262 than hassle with a pointless 5speed 262CR

Honolulu

Reaction score
had one

I had a '79 635CSi with the five speed dog leg trans. There were always too many gears.. I would shift 1-2-4 or 1-3 frequently. It just wasn't "convenient" for around town driving. I like my present OD five-speed much more, though I seldom use fifth for the little driving I do.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use a dogleg only if you enjoy incessant shifting. You will use 1st,2nd, and third in one city block. A worse cruising tranny would be hard to find.
You couldn't pay me to install another one in any of my cars.

DJSimca

Reaction score
I beg to disagree with the last three posters regarding the dogleg gearbox :)

First I believe it's as sturdy and solid as any other Getrag gearbox. Secondly you won't need to shift gears excessively - the dogleg has a 1:1 gear ratio in 5th gear just as the standard 4 speed gearbox has a 1:1 ratio in top gear. In other words, you can use your dogleg in the same way as your 4 speed if you want to. On the overdrive 5 speed gearbox however you gain relaxed cruising in top gear.

I fitted a dogleg gearbox to my E9 last year and it has been the single best improvement I ever made!! I never looked back - as they say 8)

I have to admit though that I do like to 'race' and also enjoy the thrill and the skill involved in shifting gears and going 'round corners - fast :D

@Paul
Seeing that you enjoy a more relaxed driving style you should choose the overdrive gearbox.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How do you argue with a Dane that speaks perfect English?
You guys in Europe speak better than we do.... :oops: