Drive Line Issues

cs1971

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am close to completing my 3.5l conversion. I have a couple of small problems. Currently, I am tackling the 5 speed upgrade. I had my drive shaft cut to find out later my drive shaft has 10mm holes and the trans flange has 12mm holes. I didn't see this one coming. Is there a fix be sides drilling the drive shaft to 12mm? Also my local Drive Line Shop told me that the U Joint are not replacable:neutral:. I see them for sale on ebay. I am confused:confused:. Sorry, one more question. What do I do with the purge valve that sets under the intake manifold? Should it be plug into something?

cs1971

61porsche

Reaction score
5 speed conversion, 10mm

The 10's were used at least on the early automatic cars. Perhaps even the ZF 4 speeds for a time as that's what I have with the 10's, 4 speed swap early 80's, and a stroker and haven't seen any problems. The other issue is the guibo matches the 10's. Don't know if you're replacing that as well, but W&N has them.

Steel bushing, 1mm thick, and using the 10's would work.

Shaft- yes the joints are replaceable. The originals weren't serviceable by adding grease. They are staked; which means the stakes have to be ground out, new joint, and restaked.

Don't quite get the last question- are you running a modified L jet on a 3.5 and asking about the Jules Verne device? Perhaps a little more explaination would help.

cs1971

Reaction score
Thanks, I Google a local Machine Shop here in Maryland and they are going to make bushings for me. Here is the pic of what I have. Where does this vacuum goes? I don't have a canister in my coupe.

Attachments

• IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 89

61porsche

Reaction score
Purge Valve

Goes to the vacumn canister to purge the fuel vapors- part of emissions. If you're coupe doesn't have one cap it.