Door gasket delaminating!

PaulinPa

Reaction score
My passenger door gasket has begun to separate! It was a 30 year old NOS when I installed it a couple years ago. This past Summer it was parked in the sun and I guess the heat caused the glue to fail. It started to sag and now it's almost completely off. Any suggestions on type of glue to use? I'd like to glue it together in place as it is a major PITA to remove and re-install.
coupe gasket.JPG

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first guess would be EPDM rubber glue. Here in Europe it sold in DIY stores for installation of roofing products. It is intended to glue EPDM, the glue itself is also EPDM. It's a black glue, so not noticeable, and has the ability to flex. It also very weather resistant.
Do not use Cyano acrylate glue (the one second glue type ) it is brittle and will likely fail, or create a new tear just next to the glue joint.
Erik.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paul, 3m makes a weather strip adhesive that can be found in most auto parts stores. It comes in a toothpaste style tube in both yellow and black adhesive. We refer to it as gorilla snot. The yellow is supposed to be stronger but I think the black is more than enough. Clean both surfaces, smear on the snot and wait a few minutes before pressing the pieces together. Be sure you are properly aligned otherwise you'll have a very hard time adjusting the pieces once you make contact. I would tape it in place and wait a few hours.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've found Wurth Rubber Glue provides outstanding adhesion for rubber items. That is what I'd use. Not widely available in the USA, but I've found it on Amazon.

I'd probably use 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover to get the old 'glue' off before applying new adhesive.

Gary

Last edited: