Did you know this about the carb CSL

2275xxx

Reaction score
Indeed the survival rate looks better for the Bats than for the other LHD types (not sure for the RHDs).

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL survival rate

The overall CSL survival rare is pretty high nowadays. As the CSL is the locomotive for the increasing E9 values, more and more CSLs are being restored.

Currently, nearly 700 of the total production of the 1265 + 20 CSL cars have been traced.

2210-2211-2212 serie: most rare in terms of percentage with only 37% of the cars traced (169 built)
2275- non bat: also very rare 46% (429 built)

2275- bat: 61% (110 built)
4355- bat: 65% (57 built)
2285- RHD: 67% (500 built)
2276-race: 100% (20 built)

Based on the percentage-figures above, the carb and specially the Tuners version, (Alpina and GS etc) and the non-bat 2275-cars (specially the non city-pack) are the most rare ones. In terms of numbers built, the 20 race ones and the Alpina B2-S, GS, Schnitzer, Koepchen version are the most rare.

Highiest prices are asked for the 2276-series race ones, followed by Carb Alpina B2-S, Schnitzer, GS and Koepchen. In my opinion, these cars play in their own league. Then, normally followed by standard-carbs, Bats, "BMW Individual" CSLs and non city-pack 2275-cars.

However, all well-restored CSLs and cars with an interesting track record etc, independant of version, could reach very high prices. CSL is well established as a collectors car and normally a sound investment.

My personal opinion is that top CSL prices (street versions) will climb to 250k-300k euro in the near future. For the very rare versions mentioned above, the sky is the limit.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Fittipaldi CSL

feri,

Many thx for the pictures. The Chamonix press Bat "M-YM 709", with BBS wheels, is also very interesting. It was tested by Emerson Fittipaldi and rumours says that he had a Bat (Taiga?) in his collection. At the time it was in Lousanne, Switzerland. But now, I think he lives close to São Paolo, where he enjoys his orange trees and cigar collection. As you know, Emerson + his father and brother Wilson became the official Brasilian BMW importeur in Brasil in 1974.

As regards the IAA 1973, BMW presented four "news":

BMW 525
BMW 3,3 L
BMW 2002 Turbo
BMW 3,0 CSL Bat

2002 turbo and the CSL were presented as the sport editions and most likely all these four new cars were on display in the stand.

BTW, will you go to Ferenc Puskás stadion tonight and see Hungary - Sweden? I was there in Budapest 2009 when they played and Sweden scored in the very last second. It was a magic moment in the always lovely Budapest. But pretty silent at the stadion. Except for 2 000 crazy Swedes of course.

In any case, good luck in the match tonight!

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Gerrit

Reaction score
M-aw 544

2275001 was the proof of design car of the motorsport Gmbh. It kept popping out in the press with different equipment and test bits. It was officially delivered in the spring of 72 to the research and development section and stayed untill the summer of 74 before going to Schnitzer.

Cheers,

Gerrit

feri

Reaction score
feri,

Many thx for the pictures.

BTW, will you go to Ferenc Puskás stadion tonight and see Hungary - Sweden? I was there in Budapest 2009 when they played and Sweden scored in the very last second. It was a magic moment in the always lovely Budapest. But pretty silent at the stadion. Except for 2 000 crazy Swedes of course.

In any case, good luck in the match tonight!

Cheers
Henric

Henric:

No, i will stay at home with my family. I will look at my magazines if there is more periodic csl photo.

I am glad you liked Budapest. Good look for the swedish football team, too!

Gosch

Reaction score

Do we know what Schnitzer did with it .....?
Alex

Maybe is this one

2275001.png

I collected it from Mike Thomson´s Web-Page about Oktoberfest 84 some time ago.
In the Moment is not available.

Gerrit

Reaction score

This one is 2275 011 (originally Golf Yellow) and not 2275 001, there is a typo in the text of the photobucket album.

Thanks Yannick for the correction. Incidentally 2275011 was the series CSL featured in the "5 Muskeltiere" article of AMS magazine 1972.

Gerrit

CSL 1973

Reaction score
5 Muskeltiere

And I think another CSL (carb), from the AMS-test, lives in Cologne, Germany. Could be a nice start of a "5 Muskeltiere-collection" for someone with the heart in the right place...

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

giannicsl

Reaction score
WHEN I READ WHAT YOU WRITE FRIEND YANNICK AND HENRICH .... I jump for joy!
AND THEIR OTHER FRIENDS (AND STILL MARC few well) ARE RICH PEOPLE MAKE THIS FORUM WITH THEIR KNOWLEDGE SO HUGE CSL!!

I PRAISE THEIR WORK AND TELL THEM THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Gosch

Reaction score
WHEN I READ WHAT YOU WRITE FRIEND YANNICK AND HENRICH .... I jump for joy!
AND THEIR OTHER FRIENDS (AND STILL MARC few well) ARE RICH PEOPLE MAKE THIS FORUM WITH THEIR KNOWLEDGE SO HUGE CSL!!

I PRAISE THEIR WORK AND TELL THEM THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Me too
Many Thanks
Gosch

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree, it's a pleasure to read these posts from Yannick and Henric with rare and intersting infos!:smile:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Factory photo from the 70s

The early carb CSLs were produced among the normal CS cars. The first CSLs were only built on demand. Therefore an alone Inka or Colorado carb CSL cld pop-in among the production lines for a batch of Polaris or Golf CS-cars.

Pls look at this pic from the factory in 1971. To the front left, a carb CSL among the CS cars:

http://www.tonioworld.net/immagini/images3/899738csrheine24.jpg

Cheers

Henric

Gosch

Reaction score
Please note the polaris US-Version in the middle

there is no fog light and US Licence Plate

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bet this is an easy question for the OP's. How many CSL's or Cs's for that matter did Alpina produce?

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
there is no fog light and US Licence Plate

......but no side markers. License plate holder seems to be identical for the italian market.

Very nice picture Henric, post some more!!!!!