Dash Cap

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm having trouble attaching the top of the dash to the car and figured a few of you would have good info to help. To set the scene, all four clips are present and seem to be in good shape. The cap came off so I'm guessing it should go back on. The two issues I'm having are 1) The clips don't seem to be lining up with the holes in the frame very well and 2) The foam behind the clips appears to be eroded so that the clips are pushing into the foam when I try to attach the dash to the metal frame. My thought at this point is to put some glue behind the clips to create a solid backing so the clips have something to press against as they push into the metal. I'm also wondering about moving the clips to better align with the holes and regluing them. Any and all input from you is greatly appreciated as I'm getting frustrated with this seemingly simple task that is not working out as planned.

Thanks,

Jake

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jake, is your windshield in the car? i am not going to say that the dash cap can't be put in with the windshield installed ... but it is damn near impossible. i am assuming that you mean the foam within the cap. the bottom of the cap - where the ends of the clips go in, there is metal at the bottom of the cap. so the clips are hanging below the cap and then insert into the metal dash framing - if you look at the pic below - you will see the two rectangular holes in the middle of the upper part of the dash (pale gold) and you will see the passenger side one right before where the A pillar goes up. there is also one on the drivers side. this is where you have to get the 4 clips to go in. this is why it is a lot easier to put the cap in with the windshield out of the car. otherwise its hard to get it to go down and in.

it sounds like you are mounting the clips in the top of the metal dash and trying to get the dash cap to go onto the clips ... if so, that is just backwards.

engine compartment - firewall.jpg

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
HI RS,
Thanks for the reply. The clips are in the dash cap. Three are still glued where they were when I removed the dash, the other has come loose but clips back in. I can't seem to get them to clip back into the metal support where the rectangular holes are in your picture or on the sides near the A pillars.

Nice paint BTW!

Jake

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if i remenber what i did was seat them and then just shim thru from the bottom
to hold it
ill find some pics

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
thought; the metal spring clip is held by a metal frame ( 30*70mm , 1 by 2 inch or so ) that is foamed into the top pad. When you push on the pad, most of what happens with the push force is that you just compress the foam.; the metal clip may just burry itself into the foam, rather then narrowing itself sliding into the hole, going down. As foams deteriorate over time, they usually become less resilient; it might even be crumbling; the Polyurethane foams of seats especially do this, they crumble to pieces. I think the top pad is a vinyl skin with PU foam below it.

instead of pushing them through, could you try and pull them through from below? run a wire through the pointy end of the clip, and pull it in? you may be challenged for access. let us know if it has a chance of success.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Between the window gasket and the aluminum trim down the A pillar, I think you can live without the end clips. The gasket is the main thing but needs that thin lip of the upper dash which it goes over , along with the cowl of the intrument panel.

Those clips are a PIA (using that term a lot these days) because as they retract to get through the little square hole, the feet that hold them in to their round base retract a bit also and can detach, so now the clip is seated in the hole but no longer attached to the upper dash.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Erik,
You and I are on the same page. I have attached a piece of string to each clip and plan to thread that through the hole and try to pull the clip down, as I found like you said that the foam has deteriorated over time and doesn't present a solid surface to push on. I'll let you all know how it works.

Thanks for the input.

Jake

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's no point in getting the fasteners to clip in the dash metal frame if they are not firmly fixed in the dash top, they just won't hold it down if the foam is perished. What I did was back fill the area of perished foam with modern windscreen adhesive that sets hard and firm and then bed the clip onto the adhesive, seemed to work OK on mine.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
or use Gorilla glue...sparingly. Since it foams as it dries (now they have a non foam also).

I just fear as you pull down, the clips will pull off. They are made to be pushed and not pulled..................design flaw as far as I am concerned.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The string method didn't really work. I think I may try the adhesive plan and see how that works,

Thanks

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dash will crack if you push too hard- I'm sure you know that- there's no easy answer to a dash cap that is 45 years old unfortunately.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I turned the clips 90 degrees and pushed them in to the rectangular holes that way. It worked better then the proper way so I'm going to stick with that. Still working on the driver's side as it still doesn't want to sit down on the wood/metal trim correctly.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I'm trying to be gentle with the cap but it's very stubborn, maybe more than me.

=)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting idea to put the clips in at 90 degrees rotated. Surely they will go in their hole.
But....Would you be able to flip them back, once in their hole? From below, with an angled piece of steel? (A big fork with one tooth bent if you will)

If it works then you solved the puzzle!

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The passenger side clips seem to be in place and holding. Drivers side is still a work in progress.