CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Test Day

We made it out to ORP yesterday and made about 8 solid runs with the car.

Monday and Tuesday were spent on suspension. We found that the modified 5 series trailing arms were causing the rear shocks to hit on the upper shock mount tunnels, so we had to redo where they attached on the trailing arms to get some clearance. Then it was align and corner balanced her- 2450 lbs all told.

We also had to install oxy sensors in the exhaust per Korman so we could tell how it was tuned.

Finally we made the trip down to Grass Valley from Bend, arriving about 3:00 in the afternoon.

What a thrill to unload her from the trailer and hear it fired up! And what a sound!!!

After a brief conference on what to expect, what to look for, bedding procedures for the new brakes, off I went.

First run was 5 laps at moderate pace to check everything out. After about 4 laps I saw something moving around in the passenger footwell out of the corner of my eye. It looked at first like fluid sloshing around so I pulled in fearing the worst. It turned out to be a bunch of media from the blaster moving around on the floorboards. It had come out of the right side door sill tunnel! We ended up vacuuming a bunch after each run. It was a bad problem because it would blow up into my eyes. It also got into the switches for the ignition and fuel pump and caused a few headaches.

The other unexpected problem was grasshoppers. They seemed to love the warm asphalt, and would jump up as I approached which ended up coating the front air dam with mashed grasshopper guts. They were all down the side of the car as well. Major clean-up before the Carmel Concours!

The one major issue we faced was an issue with the motor laying down at 6k. It would pull like a freight train from about 3500 up to 6000, and then just stop, almost like it has a rev limiter. Tim adjusted fuel pressure regulator, and retimed the ignition and it helped, but there is still something there we haven't solved completely.

Once the initial bedding runs were completed we worked on the handling. Initial tire temps and pressure readings indicated we were using the entire tire profile evenly, but the steering seemed very heavy and it was not providing any feedback. We upped the pressures a few pounds and the car just came alive. A little initial understeer on turn-in, but very neutral once power is added at the apex. She handles like a dream, very predictable, very responsive, and very quick.

A few things to finish up- grills, 1/4 windows, some trim, etc. Can't wait for Monterey. It's been a long winding path, but we made it. Only one chapter left to write.

CSL @ GV_1.jpg

CSL @ GV_2.jpg

CSL @ GV_3.jpg

aalto

Reaction score
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the car in person at some future event. I talked to you briefly at the Portland historics in July about the very nice 1600 you were running. We also spoke about this CSL . . . and I've been watching your updates ever since.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Off to Monterey

Tim managed to resolve the ignition issues. He had scheduled some dyno time this afternoon, but the car didn't fit on the dyno.

Not to be deterred he went out east of Bend into the desert a ways and did a little 'road test' just to make sure everything is ok. The car pulled all the way up to a bunch with no problems.

Back to the shop for the final finishing touches- grills, window trim, roof hoop, and a final de-bugg of the air dam.

We pick her up in the morning at his shop and head south.

CSL_Window_Trim.jpg

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Being somewhat of a professional fabricator myself I have enjoyed watching the progress of this build immensely. Thank you for taking the time to post so many excellent photos. Back in the day if “Road & Track” had covered this there would have been 8 or 12 black & white photos and maybe a few color shots --- with the abundance of color photos you have presented this is heaven sent --- I almost feel like I have been in the shop watching this all happen :-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rolex Reunion Pt. 1

We moved into the paddock today. It was quite a scene. There are 500 cars entered for the event, and it seemed like everybody was moving in today.

We arrived at the track about 10:30 and found our designated space. We are just down from Bill Watson and the three white/tri-color cars. We were set up and ready to head for registration by about noon. At registration we were taken care of by a volunteer named Bill who was extremely efficient and helpful.

Back to the car an check everything before heading down to Tech. We suddenly realized that Tim had left the fire bottle back at his hotel. We had removed it following the shakedown at ORP because it had expired and needed servicing. He had sent it out, and had it FedExed to his hotel.

Mad dash back to Carmel!

The car flew through Tech. A tribute to GMT's efforts.

Arthur arrived about 3:00 with his Fjiord blue car and set up right next to us. There will be a total of five CSLs racing on Saturday.

First practice is tomorrow.

I will post some pictures next week after I get home.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Monterey Pt. 2

Well, we made it, but not without a few glitches.

The biggest frustration was not being able to rev the engine above 6,000 rpm. We replaced everything in the ignition, changed the fuel pump, added extra grounding straps, and tinkered with the carbs. The only part we couldn't replace was the fuel pressure regulator, and I'm suspicious that it is the culprit.

The problem we faced was not a lot of track time to test things. We only had one session on Thursday, one on Friday, and then two races on Saturday. We got it a little better each day, but flat ran out of time.

Despite that problem the car drove really well. It was quicker through the corners than the 935's, and equal or a bit better than them under brakes. On corner exit I could never get it to pull consistently so it was difficult to balance the car and get it to take a set coming out of the corners. Down the straights I had to short shift at 5500 and rely on the torque of the engine to do the work.

All-in-all it was a great event and a great weekend. I got to meet Art Simons, who built all the factory cars, Tony Hetzmens, who drove the 51 car at Le Mans, and Eckhard Schimpf, who's family owns Jagermeister. He is trying to put together an event next summer in Germany for all the remaining cars that they sponsored over the years. He loved the car and said he would be happy if we came. It will be held on the Nurburgring! I better start saving now.

It was great to meet a few of you fellow E9 forum members. Thanks to those who stopped by our paddock and offered advice and encouragement.

I guess this will be my last post on this build. It has been interesting, a real learning experience, and very rewarding. Thanks to all who followed and who offered their help and input.

CSL @ Corkscrew.jpg

CSL@Laguna_3.jpg

CSL @ Laguna.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In-car Footage from Monterey

I finally got the in-car footage from Monterey edited and uploaded. I am still learning how to output a file that Youtube likes, so please be patient with how things look. ;-( The original footage looks great, but the Youtube file - not so much.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeueKlasseGuy

Anyone with video experience who can help, please do.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
A great way to spend 15:47 of my day and the video was fine once you repositioned the camera. Uploading in HD would be the next step. Thanks for sharing.

The white car (240Z??) around the 7:55 mark must have been popular. Surprise!

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Outstanding, car sounds and looks great, but you must get frustrated with those turbo VW fastbacks! are you all lumped in the same class for each race or are you separated up as we do here in NZ into cubic capacity groups ?? (turbo cars having there capacity multiplied by 1.7)

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Outstanding, car sounds and looks great, but you must get frustrated with those turbo VW fastbacks! are you all lumped in the same class for each race or are you separated up as we do here in NZ into cubic capacity groups ?? (turbo cars having there capacity multiplied by 1.7)

HMSA, who sanctions the Monterey race, groups cars according to years and the series they ran. I am lumped in with IMSA GT and GTX cars that ran between 1973 and 1982. It's a big spread, but I can usually find somebody to race with.

There were 2 Datsuns painted just alike in the race. That is why it looks like I got passed and then re-passed the same car.

We did have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator during the race weekend that would not allow the engine to rev passed about 6000 RPM. That problem has been fixed, so I am looking forward to the coming season. I hope to run Sonoma in May (acceptance received), Portland in July, and Monterey again in August (application in). If there's time and $$ left over I may try to get down to Coronado at the end of the year.

chicane

Reaction score
I finally got the in-car footage from Monterey edited and uploaded. I am still learning how to output a file that Youtube likes, so please be patient with how things look. ;-( The original footage looks great, but the Youtube file - not so much.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeueKlasseGuy

Anyone with video experience who can help, please do.

Your car is absolutely stunning.

jan heiselberg

Reaction score
Late Nighter

A few more pictures (cell phone camera alert) from late last night.

We did get the rear wheels tucked up under the fenders. Graphics are just about complete. Front suspension is complete. There should be fire in the hole later today.

View attachment 3387

View attachment 3388

Late Nighter

A few more pictures (cell phone camera alert) from late last night.

We did get the rear wheels tucked up under the fenders. Graphics are just about complete. Front suspension is complete. There should be fire in the hole later today.

View attachment 3387

View attachment 3388
Hello
Is it possible that you could tell me the name and type of the front calibers,
that would be most helpfull.
I am renewing my HTP and cant find those calibers

Best
Jan Heiselberg
Denmark
[email protected]
0045 40160088

Attachments

• _7D_1042.jpg
    _7D_1042.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 149

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello
Is it possible that you could tell me the name and type of the front calibers,
that would be most helpfull.
I am renewing my HTP and cant find those calibers

Best
Jan Heiselberg
Denmark
[email protected]
0045 40160088

Hi Jan,

The calipers on @lafngrvy ‘s old coupe look very much like Brembo calipers to me. I have absolutely zero expertise on period-correctness but I personally doubt that they are. I do know that he races the snot out of his cars.
F2440029-23A8-45DA-9E16-317AF1892680.jpeg

Check the calipers that @BuzzBomb used on the Martini e9 build. AP Racing front and ATE rear.
4800FADB-B747-4801-B8CC-34D4DBBD54A1.jpeg

1C20A26D-6657-4EAE-B034-C654320EF35E.jpeg

Last edited: