CSL Re-Birth - Sydney

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Either way it's a 'fairly' costly indulgence, although for a CSL, it's a must!
You should figure 100 bucks for anodizing plus the kidney cost. Removing and reinstalling the slats isint a big deal.
The final product is simply fantastic as on picture # 2! Not comparable to the fat 4 slat kidney. That one you could easily sell further. My 2 cents worth :rolleyes:

And whilst I'm at it, another CSL must have as was from the factory, is a 38cm Petri steering wheel. That is certainly much more of a search and financial challenge than the kidney.
The CSL Petri had a special length hub which is impossible to find but off late, 38 cm leather wrapped wheels seem to be showing up (not an original CSL Petri wheel but close enough).
Plenty of us here on the forum who can help and advise.
The CSL is somewhat unique and we 'old boys' here have 'expertised' our wisdom.
We can send you pics of the leather Petri's too.

Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks again Keshav.

You and this forum have been so helpful!

We are now restoring our original 5 slat grill which appears to have the original black slats/paint on it - we will powder coat as needed - thanks for the clarification.

I managed to source an original Petro 380 wheel from a local CSL owner who had installed a bigger wheel so I think we are in good shape on that too (for once I might have got things right!)

Very best,

David

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Annodizing is preferable if you have a choice, it's more durable and thats the factory way

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Steve - what do you mean by 'factory way' as Keshav wrote:
ALL CSL's came off the production line with 5 BLACK SLAT kidneys, like on picture# 2.

I have just flicked through the e9 section of the book BMW Classic Coupes and the anodised look appears on a CS coupe and a racing Bat and the Calder car. The street cars and most of the racing cars seem to be in black.
I appreciate they didn't just exit the factory but it would seem odd that so many were painted black by their owners.

Great to get the authoritative view so I can make a call - aesthetically I am not enamoured by the anodised look as it doesn't match the black and silver ying/yang combination seen on the Polaris, but if anodised was ex- factory I will likely be swayed.

To complicate things, I have also seen some side vents anodised.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you tell your anodiser that you want them to look satin (they can control this) it will look just like paint but won't scrach off easily (like when reinstalling the slats or bug hits). I previously painted mine satin black and anodizing this way looks exactly the same (better). I believe all 5 slat grills were either silver for CS/CSi and anodized black for CSL. Not sure about LHD CSL perhaps Keshav can chime in here.

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is my (detective and deductive) take:
All CSLs (UK too) regardless of year came with the 5 BLACK SLAT (satin black anodized) from the factory. FACT
All the other CSI/CS came with the 5 CHROME SLAT (chrome anodized) from the factory. FACT

Both versions were available so when a replacement was bought, one could buy either, for any car mind you. Thus some mixed versions across the board. CSLs and CSI/ CS.

Then,
in summer of 1973, shortly before the model upgrade, to include the later 4 BLACK PLASTIC SLAT kidney, BMW started to use up their excess 5 black slat kidneys and put them into their regular productions E9's. Therefore we see late 73 and early 74 E9's with 5 black slat kidneys from the factory too. Aparently, the exterior color of the car was predominant in BMW choosing the black or chrome slat kidneys installation in those SWING months. That's also when the 5 black slat kidneys dropped off the shelves and only the 5 slat chrome kidneys were available as replacements until the new 4black slat kidneys were introduced into the cars, late 73 onwards and as replacements too. One could then buy both, 5 slat chrome and 4 plastic slat kidneys. This must have be late 1973, early 74 onwards.

For you David, for a CSL it should be a 5 black slat (satin black anodized) kidney, as from the factory. That's a fact.
As for the many other experts here on this forum, please chime in!
As Stevehose pointed out, let your anodizing shop know the color you want/ satin black and you have have the factory look kidney.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I read threads like this, I really appreciate the amazing camaraderie and world-leading subject matter expertise of this group - thank you all, I will do my very best with your advice and this car!

Thanks

David

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Two jobs completed this week.

1. The headlamp outer brackets (missing on the completed car, so we found some spares via Bill in Melbourne and welded in place)

20170630_103829 (1).jpeg

2. The beaver panel was just acceptable, but far from perfect, so we re-did to our satisfaction).

20170630_103740.jpeg

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks to above advice, the damaged original kidney grill is now restored. The slats have been prepared and despite a long discussion with the restorer, we agreed to black paint which they claim will prove just as durable (you can tell me I told you so in a few months or years!)

20170705_102558.jpeg
20170705_153319.jpeg
20170705_153319.jpeg
20170705_102558.jpeg

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On a different front, I have used a variety of sources to get a tool box put together. Fuses will be easy. I suspect cloths harder? Also - I have seen no mention of a dealer log book with stamps - was this a modern invention?

20170620_171037.jpeg

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your attention to details is impeccable.

I believe repo blue cloths with BMW embossing can be bought online but expensive at about USD$30. One of the guys on the FB Aus BMW Register has a source if needed.

Also just my 2 cents on the tool kit ....I believe a number of E9 owners take some/all the tools out if regular driving, as they tend to weigh down the plastic tool box casing and it can be prone to cracks. I have an almost full tool kit but most of the time I have to empty it out to preserve the integrity of the plastic tool box casing, as after 45 years they tend to be a bit brittle to handle the weight of all the tools. (Although if you tool box casing is brand new then maybe you wont have this problem).

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 8.40.03 PM.png

Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you Mal,
Alas my tool box is brand new as it was missing from the car (How much weight did the city pack add back to the CSL!) - the tool roll would have been a more sensible option all round!
I guess once the delivery glow has worn off I will take a pragmatic stance on many things, until then, I will try to create as original a CSL city pack CSL as possible with two classes of modifications: 1. Optioned air conditioning (fitted with original internals and modern removable engineering) as another Australian e9CSL I know has optioned air conditioning and all e46 CSLs I have seen in Australia came with Air (needed to enjoy in Sydney I think), and 2, My very favourite look for street CSLs which is front air dam, small fiberglass rear tail and bonnet fins. Also, this car came without headrests which I am leaving missing as apparently, they tend to hit the roof when you require rear access?

Is this the same blue clot you mention, as Bill from Melbourne has them too?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi David,

Yes I think the with front air-dam makes for a more sporty look on a CSL. Some owners put the airdam + bumper but personally I think this makes the front look too heavy. I have taken off my front bumper. I also have bonnet fins.

Re the rear I wanted to see the actual 3.0 csl silver badges, BMW roundel and original boot lines so I don't have the kick spoiler. Although I agree they look great.

image.jpeg

Be careful if you buy a kick spoiler as the original version overlaped each side of the boot lid by about 5cm. Some aftermarket boot kick spoilers sit flush with boot lid gaps which is not correct and actually doesn't as look nice.

Good luck, your build looks amazing so far.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks
2015-11-12 07.12.20.jpg
2015-11-12 07.11.54.jpg
2015-11-16 08.33.43 (1).jpg
Mal.
Here are some early trial fitting photos - the spoiler was purchased from a local CSL owner who had put on a full Mark 4 kit.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW Mal I agree, I wondered about the same trade-offs. My view is the rear spoiler doesn't look perfectly resolved on the back and your argument for losing the metal badges is correct. I, however, was swayed by my desire to make my CSLs look more atavistic, and the rear spoiler on the e46 is clearly inspired by the smaller e9 spoiler. I think my e9 spoiler does have the roundel (just like the e46 ones does) and a rubber top but a transfer for the car name. I have seen some e9s with the metal badges on the small spoiler (which is what the e46 csl has in silvered plastic) but I think that costs some e9 originality so will stick with the transfer to start with (or at least until I see yours)!

Attachments

• 2015-11-16 08.33.24 (1).jpg
    2015-11-16 08.33.24 (1).jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 437
  • 2015-11-16 08.33.15.jpg
    2015-11-16 08.33.15.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 402

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay - been busy at work.

The trimmer has made great progress and retrimmed much of the interior. He still has the front seats to do. The interior side panels were Ok but marked lightly in places and the metal trims were chipped/scratched in parts. He has a spare set of side trims from a CSi in great order and has sourced the correct panel trim called Bavaria embossed vinyl for the upper section of the door trims from the U.S. We need to polyworld the glove box and the door trims and recover the rear parcel shelf and the interior of the car will then be complete and ready for installation. I have a set of the repro csl seat covers from the coupe guy and an original black leather e9 gear knob to replace my wooden one which was fitted with a cheaper looking and crazed BMW roundel. So we have only lost originality in two parts of the interior. The roof trim which is now perforated black so has lost the dark grey with light black random lines it and the sun visor cover material which I recall used matching roof lining material but not perforated. I think he has done a great job - I am very happy with it.

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the engineering front, the remaining bolts and brackets have been plated correctly so the gear box is now back together and should have lost the synchro issue it had when changing quickly into second. We inspected all of the trim and found a few pieces that need to be replaced which I have sources from a great guy on ebay and Wallochs. Also, Wallochs no longer have rear lights. I have a new left one from them but need a right as my lenses are scratched - did BMW make a new batch and did they just sell out or have we lost the last of the originally manufactured batch? On another front, the brake boosters have been stripped and are ready for their original UK blue painting.

IMG_3661.JPG.jpeg

IMG_3662.JPG.jpeg

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4560.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks John - definitely best available RHS unit for sale that I can see too.

I think I can live with the pitting, what worried me was the close ups shots of the outer side showing that the top layer of the chrome had peeled away all the way around each of the lenses. So a step up from the one I have but not enough to pay half the price of a new one for. The LHS one for sale from France is more the standard I am looking for. So hopefully another will come up soon (Perhaps BMW will make another batch for us?)

Very best,

David

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A nice photo of the seats being rebuilt they were starting to rust and one of the welds had come loose so we blasted and painted them again.

Front Seat Webbing.JPG