CSL map light

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
My two carbs CSLs have the same holes on the dashboard. It probably was the place for a road map lamp. One has still the fixing clip on the dash.
In the owners manual supplement for the CSL the map light is located in the glove box compartment but I didn't find any traces of it.
Any pics or info of this map light on other early CSL??

Here some pictures to explain better, I hope.

dashboard hole 2.jpg
dashboard holes.jpg
dashboard clip.jpg

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
map light

should be similar to this one, probably from Hella...

Attachments

• map light.jpg
    map light.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 348

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
in case you're looking for one...

Hello Lorenzo,
If I remember correctly, Chris Provo (retyke on eBay) was selling one of these a while back. I don't think it ever sold because the reserve was set high. Unless he still monitors this forum and writes in, you could try finding him through eBay.
Good luck!

61porsche

Reaction score
Map Lights

For other marques, a map light was mounted below the glove box under the dash, same clip, so the co pilot could use it. Another version was a plug in to the cigarette lighter. All Hella from what I recall.

Are you looking for one?

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
For other marques, a map light was mounted below the glove box under the dash, same clip, so the co pilot could use it. Another version was a plug in to the cigarette lighter. All Hella from what I recall.

Are you looking for one?

I bought a nos Hella for the cigarette lighter and have also the one in the last picture but was curious to know more about the original lamp.
And buy one ( or two ) if not too expensive.:wink:

JhwShark

Reaction score

On my '72 euro 2002 the map light came as Jerry described. When I took it off to clean the interior, the indentation on the side of the center console looked just like Lorenzo's pic's.

Jon

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL map light (maybe I can shed some light)

Lorenzo,

I think the brand of the map light is "Hella". For the early carb CSLs, the map light was located in the glovebox (mounted in the inner left corner). This can be seen on the photo in the CSL owner's manual supplement printed 11/72. In the updated (multilingual) version of the CSL supplement, printed 9/73, the map light is located on the dash.

As some "late" carb CSLs also have the map light on the dash, I think the change come somewhere around carb VIN 2212302 (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Late carb ones and early injection CSLs (2275xxx) were sold (produced?) in parallel but I have never seen an injection CSL with the map light in the glove box.

On late CSLs, I think the map light was removed (not 100% sure) but I don't know if it was for late 2275xxx cars or only for the last batch (4355xxx).

On the RHD CSLs (2285xxx) I think there was a mix of cars with and without map light but I recall it was mentioned in the RHD CSL promotion leaflet. It might be the case that the map light was totally independent of if it was a city pack or non-city pack car.

Cheers

RogerB

Reaction score
My 72 CSL 2275030 did not come with a map light, but I bought this original one several years ago Gerrit. I have not installed it, but it appears it would fit in the position of the missing light shown above?!!?

Attachments

• PIC_0687.jpg
    PIC_0687.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 227

CSL 1973

Reaction score
After consulting the original CSL sales leaflet etc, I can add the following:

Early carb German Leaflet (late 1971/early 1972?): "Leselampe im handschuhfach" (reading lamp in glove box)

Early Carb + Injection English Leaflet (9/72): "reading lamp in glove box"

Early Carb + Injection German Leaflet (9/72): "Leselampe" (reading lamp)

UK City Pack Supplement leaflet (2/73): "Interior light" (no mention about map reading light)

CSL Owner's manual German supplement (2/72): "Kartenleselampe im rechten handschuhkasten" (map reading lamp in right glove box) + picture of the glove box

CSL Owner's manual French supplement (2/72): "Dans la boit à dants de droite se trouve une lampe de lecture" (map reading lamp in right glove box) + picture of the glove box

CSL Bat Owner's manual multilingual (DE/UK/FR/IT) supplement (9/73): "A map-reading lamp is located on the right-hand stowage shelf" + picture of the dash

The same text in the German and Italien version but in the French it says "...in the glove box" - must be an translation error.

On the BMW Bat interior press photo (Nr 7423): fully equipped Bat from late 1973 with 4x power windows, AC, Radio etc there is no sign of a map reading light on the dash.

Cheers

RogerB

Reaction score
My 2275030 injection car was manufactured on September 21, 1972. It has a light in the glove box.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a Kaco engine light and wasn't made by BMW. Mercedes owners also have these, notice how small the plug is, much narrower for the socket in the engine bay of the 220S/SE sedans.

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
)

Early Carb + Injection English Leaflet (9/72): "reading lamp in glove box"

Cheers

This brochure with the yellow CSL has a picture of the interior where it's visible the map light button on the dash.

A bit confusing....

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Lorenzo!

I agree, the BMW dcumentation from early 70s are sometimes a little bit confusing. In the mentioned brochure from 9/72, technical specs from both the carb and the injection CSL are available. My conclusion is, at that time period, both models were sold in parallel. If you look closely at the 9/72 brochure interior photo, you see it's not from the Golf car (M-AH 1076).

My first thought was that BMW had used the photo of the carb CSL (M-SE 1836) from the earlier brochure. But at a second look, one can see that it's not the case. The early carb steering wheel have three holes and the picture, in the 9/72 brochure, is from a later car with a steering wheel with only two holes. Most likely a later CSL produced somewhere around late spring or summer-72 (= most likely lamp on the dash).

Please note that the famous Blue Alpina B2S (L-LL 502) has the lamp on the dash. Further, it's bery interesting that Roger's 2275030 has the lamp in the glove box.

Welcome to the magic world of harmonized CSL production!

Cheers

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
done!

Here two pics of the map light (from Gerrit, thanks) finally in place.

Attachments

• new map light 1.JPG
    new map light 1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 256
  • new map light.JPG
    new map light.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 243