CSL - differences during production

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like to create a new document for the FAQ - similar to what @HB Chris did for the basic e9 coupe, except to track the variances of the CSL from the early 169 versions, the 2275 models (both lightweight and city pack, the bat1 and bat2 models. accordingly, i would like to collect pictures and pick the brains of some of our most knowledgeable CSL owners so we get this right.

I would appreciate any pictures of very original / very correct CSL, and any information that some of you have to share. a fair amount of this is above my pay grade, but i would like to make an attempt. probably going to stay away from the Alpina variants at this time.

cheers
scott

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott.
I will bite. Mine was likely born city pack. Rear windows are fixed, but glass not plexiglass. No power steering or windows. But it did have hood pins. There was no provision for any kind of internal hood latch. No passageway for the cable exists.
Car has been restored at least twice. When I got it, it had steel doors, but they were replacements.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Scott. i know there are differences - and i know what cars are today might have little to do with how they were born.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion or preferably know; Did the first ultralight cars actually have CSL stripes and a CSL trunk badge installed at the factory?

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion or preferably know; Did the first ultralight cars actually have CSL stripes and a CSL trunk badge installed at the factory?

AFAIK the early carb CSLs didn’t have the side stripes nor the CSL trunk badge.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 2 Csl’s in paint now- both taken down to bare bones. Replacing sheet metal on both. Let me know if you want Vins and particular pics.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI - i have started this exercise by reading everything (again) in the CSL folder, starting from the early days ... taking notes and putting them into a document. i have a first draft, but i need to flush it out some more and do more to sort out the complexities and try to infill with more specific details and pics. The fact of the matter is all of us are getting older and before we lose our elders who really know this stuff, i would like to get it documented and preserved.

We all see cars coming out of restoration shops, some highly touted that don't seem correct. the hardest thing for collectors / buyers is getting real documentation on true 2275 lightweights. we all have seen cars claiming to be true lightweights, but sadly most are not true.

honestly the information i need most is information on carb CSL on how they came out of the factory - did they come with the 38cm Alpina wheel that is shown on the brochures, did they come with Petri 38cm. my understanding is they did not come with CSL stripes. no air dam, front and rear valances were painted black with no front bumper / fiberglass rear bumper. the prop rods were slightly different than later cars - i would like photos of both types. were the bumper holes in the front valance not present on the carb cars?

another perplexing question is when did the air dam arrive? was it only on the true lightweight 2275 cars, was it an option or did it come on city pack 2275 cars? when did the CSL stripes start? i know they came originally in black, blue and green. on cars with the air dam, were the stripes put on the air dam?

there is a lot more - let the discussions begin ... lets get this right.

shanon

Reaction score
Pics of early (1971) CSL press car(prototype?) Think 'prototype', note Alpina wheels and is that a roll bar diagonal I see? HTH and good luck with your project.

Attachments

• early carb CSL press car.jpg
    early carb CSL press car.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 102
  • early carb CSL press car2.jpg
    early carb CSL press car2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 69

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the 500 RHDs.
Left the factory in "fjord-blue" but received "verona" with vinyl roof afterwards

Attachments

• 20220906_161407.jpg
    20220906_161407.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 78

roundel

Reaction score
Pics of early (1971) CSL press car(prototype?) Think 'prototype', note Alpina wheels and is that a roll bar diagonal I see? HTH and good luck with your project.

That would be 2211347......came to England with the Broadspeed car....

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to create a new document for the FAQ - similar to what @HB Chris did for the basic e9 coupe, except to track the variances of the CSL from the early 169 versions, the 2275 models (both lightweight and city pack, the bat1 and bat2 models. accordingly, i would like to collect pictures and pick the brains of some of our most knowledgeable CSL owners so we get this right.

I would appreciate any pictures of very original / very correct CSL, and any information that some of you have to share. a fair amount of this is above my pay grade, but i would like to make an attempt. probably going to stay away from the Alpina variants at this time.

cheers
scott
I'm available, can you help me with my totally original CSL carburetor.

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car has never been repainted, except in three parts, I confirm the absence of side stripes and only CS is indicated on the rear bonnet despite it being a CSL. I am doubly sure of this, because some time ago I found and purchased a light alloy rear hood coming from a CSL carburettor destroyed in an accident in 1975, with the CS logo. this too without stripes. The rear windows are fixed, not glass but are plexiglass. No power steering or electric windows. It has pins on the hood. There is no type of internal closure of the bonnet. There is no passage for the cable, nor any internal handle to pull the bowden cable to open the bonnet, it has a Glaverbel brand front windshield, notoriously lighter, because less often, the same concept and brand used by the Porsche 911 2.7 RS, with which shares, in addition to the brand and type of windshield, the synthetic leather and the central fabric of the Scheel seats, has a resin rear bumper, while the front bumper is completely missing, has no stabilizer bars, neither front nor rear, curious note, below the rear backrest, dismantled for detailed cleaning, has a number written on the top right with a color that looks like wax, like the one children use to colour, in my case 070, which is the code for the color golf yellow, the rims are Alpina 14, and have no holes next to the fixing nuts with the central part of the hub painted in matt black, on the dashboard, in front of the passenger there is a flexible map reading lamp, with a button switch at the base white ignition. the steering wheel is a 38 Alpina built by Momo for Alpina, like a Momo Prorotipo. At the moment I can't think of anything else, but if anyone has any questions I'm available. I hope that the translation is faithful to what I write in Italian. I decided to sell my CSL, it has been with me for 15 years, only one owner before me, if anyone is really interested they can contact me, I warn you it is not cheap, but unique in terms of originality, almost entirely first paint, never restored. A unique piece

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hello Mario, thank you very much for the helpful information and confirmation. can you tell me the VIN so i have context for the flexible light on the dash. out of curiosity, i am curious if there is any indication that the light may have been installed in the glove box originally.

can you send me a couple of pics of the flexible light on the dash and pics of the left side of the glovebox. it would also be helpful to see a pic of the underside of the dash - below the location of the light.

Ciao,
scott

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,
I am attaching a photo of the map read lamp, I have heard of the location of the map read lamp in the glove drawer, but never seen it, while I have seen the same location as my lamp on other CSLs. the Vin of mine is 2212442. another piece of information that comes to mind, again to save on weight, the battery of the CSL was 36AH while that of the CS or Csi was 55AH

Attachments

• 20150609_085913.jpg
    20150609_085913.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150609_085937.jpg
    20150609_085937.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 66

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hi Mario,

thanks for the VIN and the pics. i knew about the smaller battery on the carb CSL and already have that in my notes. i do have a follow up question for you - it appears that you have a different form of air conditioning above your glovebox - i wonder if that installation caused the movement of the light from the glovebox to the dash ... or if it was always mounted on the dash.

cheers
scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have added the notes on the curved switch blanks for the early cars and the flat blanks for the later cars. @Keshav mentioned that this changed on the facelift cars - i presume this means the Bat1 (2275430+ cars), not any of the early 73 - 2275xxx cars.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have added the notes on the curved switch blanks for the early cars and the flat blanks for the later cars. @Keshav mentioned that this changed on the facelift cars - i presume this means the Bat1 (2275430+ cars), not any of the early 73 - 2275xxx cars.

Scott, these blanks are not a CSL unique feature, they are for all E9 models that don’t have 4 electric windows/ switches.

Face lift cars are considered 1974/75 cars (starting late 1973)

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car has never been repainted, except in three parts, I confirm the absence of side stripes and only CS is indicated on the rear bonnet despite it being a CSL. I am doubly sure of this, because some time ago I found and purchased a light alloy rear hood coming from a CSL carburettor destroyed in an accident in 1975, with the CS logo. this too without stripes. The rear windows are fixed, not glass but are plexiglass. No power steering or electric windows. It has pins on the hood. There is no type of internal closure of the bonnet. There is no passage for the cable, nor any internal handle to pull the bowden cable to open the bonnet, it has a Glaverbel brand front windshield, notoriously lighter, because less often, the same concept and brand used by the Porsche 911 2.7 RS, with which shares, in addition to the brand and type of windshield, the synthetic leather and the central fabric of the Scheel seats, has a resin rear bumper, while the front bumper is completely missing, has no stabilizer bars, neither front nor rear, curious note, below the rear backrest, dismantled for detailed cleaning, has a number written on the top right with a color that looks like wax, like the one children use to colour, in my case 070, which is the code for the color golf yellow, the rims are Alpina 14, and have no holes next to the fixing nuts with the central part of the hub painted in matt black, on the dashboard, in front of the passenger there is a flexible map reading lamp, with a button switch at the base white ignition. the steering wheel is a 38 Alpina built by Momo for Alpina, like a Momo Prorotipo. At the moment I can't think of anything else, but if anyone has any questions I'm available. I hope that the translation is faithful to what I write in Italian. I decided to sell my CSL, it has been with me for 15 years, only one owner before me, if anyone is really interested they can contact me, I warn you it is not cheap, but unique in terms of originality, almost entirely first paint, never restored. A unique piece
Interesting note- my carb’d CSL has the number "78" or "18" (see my alias picture) in the same place as your 070… which is not my color code (Colorado).

Last edited:

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
hi Mario,

thanks for the VIN and the pics. i knew about the smaller battery on the carb CSL and already have that in my notes. i do have a follow up question for you - it appears that you have a different form of air conditioning above your glovebox - i wonder if that installation caused the movement of the light from the glovebox to the dash ... or if it was always mounted on the dash.

cheers
scott
Hi Scott
I actually have a different type of air conditioning mounted above the glove compartment, it is an after market model, installed in Italy by the first owner, by the dealer who sold the new car, in Sicily the climate is hot, like in Florida or California. Indeed, that installation could have caused the light to move from the glove compartment to the dashboard, although I have always known the car, I don't know if it has always been like this when mounted on the dashboard, I haven't seen the car before having fitted air conditioning. But I think I've seen several cars with lamps mounted in the same position. so it seems difficult to me. My thesis is further supported by the fact that to mount this type of air conditioning, it was not necessary to dismantle the dashboard, which was necessary to move the lamp.
Mario