CSi in LA

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stopped by when I saw a CSi for sale in LA (West Coast Classics).

Looks like a Euro, badged CSi, vinyl seats, lots of "upgrades" (shifter, arches, steering wheel looks like M-tech). Engine bay looked well cared, and I think car is lowered.

Presumably a Santa Barbara car for decades, asking ~42k$, they just received the car and will list on ebay.

Not mine, never will.

Attachments

• inla.jpg
    inla.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 182

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I notice that some coupes have the full chrome kidneys and some with just the chrome surround. Is one original and the other aftermarket? Any rhyme or reason. I can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hard to tell from pic, either it's the ill-fitting later 4 slat model with black slats, or the desireable CSL 5 slat model with black slats, or the standard 5 slat model with chrome slats which cheapos like me paint black because they like the look. CSL one hard to find and $$$ when they pop up.

I notice that some coupes have the full chrome kidneys and some with just the chrome surround. Is one original and the other aftermarket? Any rhyme or reason. I can't seem to figure it out.

Tone

Reaction score
I believe this is the car that was for sale north of Santa Barbara. I spoke to one of the two sisters who was selling the car. Their father had passed away. I recall he was the only owner. They were asking $29,000. The sister I spoke to mentioned they didn't get their asking price.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So from 29K where the sisters could not sell and now it goes up to 42k? I hope the high polished floors and marketing dollars work out for them. Coupes are increasing in value..

phead82

Reaction score
No high polished floors there unfortunately. All their cars are sitting outside not far from the beach come rain or shine. The last CSi they were selling was originally advertised for close to 40k and it had been sitting around for ages. I went there and took a look - car was a mid 20k car the most. It eventually sold on ebay for 35k probably unseen to some random guy, keen on getting a 1 owner car.
Oh well...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do these folk buy the cars or work on consignment?
Peter said the last one sold fast and went to Germany. The price run up may be Germans buying CA cars after their own stash has rusted away. Forget spotted owls, California coupes should be designated a protected species.

phead82

Reaction score
Not sure what their business model is but I assume they buy the cars? When I was there the guy there (dude washing the cars - told me his boss wasn't in) told me that somebody from Germany had already expressed serious interest in the car and had come along with an offer of 35k - which they refused at the time. Several weeks/months later the car eventually sold for said amount. Like said, the car had been sitting there for quite a while, baking in the sun and being exposed to coastal conditions before it eventually found a new owner.
Arde, I think your assumption concerning the German market might not be too far off the truth.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, I think your assumption concerning the German market might not be too far off the truth.

First they came for the CSLs, and I didn't speak because mine was a CS.
Then they came for the CSis, and I didn't speak because mine was a CS.

Martin Niemoller.