CS Register Badge Update

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original name that would have been chosen by Art was Register. U.S.A. as on the original decal was how the original badges read. When I did the second run there was a long debate about "er" or "ry" It was a while ago, and I don't remember how we ended up with one run of each. My vote is for the original "er" and "U.S.A." as you see on the decal above. I am an "originalist" at heart and try to keep my coupe stock/original looking; although, members like Markos would spot the deviations, small as they are. And then there is my brass overflow tank, paintless and naked and beautiful. Thanks Stevehose for the inspiration.
I love everything that you just wrote, Steve. I'd love to learn more about what the original decals and badges were. And that legacy seems like a wonderful thing to continue. I'll also add that I went out of my way to get a brass overflow tank even though it does not belong on my '73. And I currently plan on polishing it rather than painting it - because it is brass and why not celebrate that?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the Original was Register and Art changed it to Registry to be grammatically correct in his mind.

“Register noun official list or record, for example of births, marriages, and deaths, of shipping, or of historic places. a book or record of attendance, for example of students in a class or school or guests in a hotel. Registry: noun (plural registries) a place or office where registers or records are kept.”

Your post from March 2014:

“The Register had a number of editors. But the most famous/infamous? Was Art Wegweiser. He relished his role as Curmudgeon-in-Chief. He was generous, knew mostly everything about our coupes, and was far Left of Left Wing. Loved to rile up the members who took the bait every time. Changed the name from Register to Registry. I did two runs of CS Grille badges. The first run, years ago was based on a badge Art lent. So it was CS RegistRY. The second run a couple of years ago there as a movement to go back to the original name of the Register. RegistER. So Register it was.

A tiny footnote in the History. Steve”

My preference is Register USA. We are an international group but the origins are here in the US. Many have the German e9 stickers on their coupe too which is nice. I’m easy either way however.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original stickers said Register USA fwiw

wqUMa6DO6FuiPysEQY4_Yqqs9j02iaElg1kVWzRxIcjBPwjzQlhnSKMAJMtW2TKzTJS469pzSZYrb-I8LE8Jdz75XI42QC72dQ8elVFVgs0VRP36DoW3K9-7s9KoEvT8xrWVfd3nvxI2IgzqetwkzxMk_wq2YuIkJjhhGee7c-5KbxOfXgqOrx64N9borTmXZtfX_KSD49rAPUIV1t32q0ac_SrtNXdxr-J8KKds1S7fe-upVhItIf4e-_CYRw7hWJY2fTCp9zsOdwssv2y_fhqfIoCF90Rr9uF8vIpJEFHn4c8Nv0G7SWGIHJbLRmi9SC-5auaSfFfAGSn8Hg4IEj5onlIaQaglnwThZ_Y3umG8Freaa4K_aFR4cmJBF0r4FodYIPYkiE0eiPT0ciO0ICLTpSXFcvXDH7ZD5bjfH3Kba-p-uK4mRLAK55NswocFuUZ4dAiq0oz6QG7grwu1D7pwsDGEEWwj-tQASxFEFcmr5AAtEJH0Im-f8V4M3etMEpKMZ-ajdnHtGrHTxRpMdeM6g1WuLYnSWzJceaSwa_T7xBXAZrdhk0n7zkeKIIf4aAQ98gKsX03Quj67HvOJkQqNsttJuqIIG460mmU=w1024-h768-no

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And the darker blue looks much better I think, same as the Roundel.
Chris, I agree with your points:
- RegistER seems to be the correctly used word per the definitions above. Between that and it being the "original original", that would get my vote despite RegistRY rolling off the tongue easier.
- On the fence regarding the roundel. There is something powerfully graphic with the monochromatic blue used throughout. But the black detail does represent the marque more accurately.
- I am not sure I follow your comment regarding the dark blue. My eye sees two different blues on that version: a darker blue in the car graphic above, and a lighter blue in the roundel. Is this what you see/prefer?

I have some info back from one of the companies. Waiting for at least one other. I would also like to get samples of the work before sharing with the group. I may have to purchase a badge or two, which I can post pics of. But I do think we can get the minimum reduced so this order should be imminent. :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
So in modern times, wouldn't the website be the registry and the list be the register? It becomes a little blurred and at some point distracting. Both acceptable, both subjective as to which one to refer to. I would say, badges and stickers refer to the REGISTER and if you want to promote the website it would be the REGISTRY.

Next debate... .com or .org? :) Fortunately, registry, register, .com or .org can all be forwarded to whatever we decide.

Last edited:

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
If we get enough interest, I would be in for a badge and/or two stickers. Thanks for doing this.

Rich Becherer
rich dot becherer at yahoo dot com

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So in modern times, wouldn't the website be the registry and the list be the register? It becomes a little blurred and at some point distracting. Both acceptable, both subjective as to which one to refer to. I would say, badges and stickers refer to the REGISTER and if you want to promote the website it would be the REGISTRY.

Next debate... .com or .org? :) Fortunately, registry, register, .com or .org can all be forwarded to whatever we decide.

Dan, I think your logic is correct.

Stephen, by dark blue I meant that which is used in the Register version, the other blue is too light. One dark blue could be used for both the windows and the Roundel.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris - thanks for the clarification.

All - as I type I am in the middle of some follow up with a second vendor. At this point I am optimistic that we have two badge options that would only require a 40 or 50 piece minimum order. So I think we can do this. I would be happy to generate (replicate) the artwork for the badge and we can discuss the lettering, colors, etc in order to arrive at the right final details for this run. I am basing my conversations with these two vendors on the decals/badges above. I still feel compelled to see and touch examples from each vendor before making a decision. As noted above, I'll keep running with this and share what I learn. Have to admit, I am really enjoying working on this for the group - thank you!