Coupe VIN Registry (again)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e9 Registry now has 86 U.S. Coupe VINs registered but only 30 or so have the actual build dates. As noted in an earlier post, I have created a spreadsheet to track the U.S. VINs and have been contacting a very few members to see if they have requested this data, especially if their coupe is an early or late build. Andreas provided the build date of the first `71 and `73 U.S. coupes and he has been replying to individual requests within 24 hours. However, many of the coupes in our registry have no member name or alias and no e-mail contact info.

I am requesting that our members at least add their alias and location to the registry so we can relate the member with their coupe, heck, and adding a first name is so much more personal, e-mail address is optional and I understand the reluctance to post that. I will share the data I have with anyone who sends me an e-mail which is in my profile. Here is the contact info:

[email protected]

I would especially love to know when the following coupes were built: 2240334, 2240346, 2240401, 2250065, 2250131 to help determine the cutover points which right now look like September. The first 4 speed was built 5/17/71 and the first automatic was not until 11/9/71.

Thanks everyone!

jmackro

Reaction score
I would especially love to know when the following coupes were built: 2240334, 2240346, 2240401, 2250065, 2250131 to help determine the cutover points which right now look like September. The first 4 speed was built 5/17/71 and the first automatic was not until 11/9/71.

Chris:

I couldn't decode the above two sentences. Do you mean the cutover between the 2800 and 3.0 models? That manual 3.0's first appeared on 5/14/71 and that automatic 3.0's began on 11/9/71? But then, what is it that began in September? I'm confused!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay,

I meant September for model year changeover but not 2800 to 3.0. The first 3.0 began in May and November of `71 as noted.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How to learn your coupes build and deliver date

First you must have your car's VIN

go to www.e9-driven.com

Under the E9 Driven logo on the left are a column of boxes. The last one reads "BMW E9 Data Request" and move your curser over and click. That will bring up your email with the address of Mr Andreas Harz.
Write "Requesting Information" in the subject line then nicely ask for the build date etc for your car. Be sure to include the VIN number.

Within a couple days you will receive a reply with the build date, delivery date, original colr and destination of your coupe.

easy as you please!

jmackro

Reaction score
I meant September for model year changeover but not 2800 to 3.0. The first 3.0 began in May and November of `71 as noted.

OK, got it. So, you are saying that if someone wanted an automatic CS in the summer of 1971, they would get one with a 2.8L engine, even though it would have come with a 3.0 had they ordered a manual.

Was the model year really significant? In the reply I got back from Andreas Harz, he tells me the date my coupe was manufactured (06/16/1970) but doesn't bother to say that it was a 1970 model year. I suppose I'm viewing this from the mindset of an Alfa Romeo owner, and assume that non-US automakers all introduced design and engineering changes continuously, instead of lumping them together when the new model year replaced the last. The introduction of the 3.0 in May and November, 1971 seems to bear this out - a US automaker would have transitioned to the 3.0 in September with an "all new for 1972" advertising campaign.

Incidently, I got an alternator and starter from bnrparts - thanks for the lead!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay,

I don't have enough late 2800 automatics to know when the last one was built. There may have been a large gap until 3.0 autos in November. The model year wasn't really important to BMW but you can bet the window sticker had a model year on it (I think). Generally the MY changed in September after the european holiday. The data I have so far indicates this.

jmackro

Reaction score
Generally the MY changed in September after the european holiday. The data I have so far indicates this.

Yes, I thought about this a bit more, after writing my previous post. While M.Y. didn't really matter much in the 1960's, by the 1970's when smog regulations took effect here in the US, M.Y. became highly important. With each succeeding year, cars had to meet more stringent emmissions standards, and as such, needed to carry a tag indicating their official model year.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score

HB Chris, here ya go!

The BMW 3.0 CS US Automatic VIN 2250131 was manufactured on April 16th, 1972 and delivered on May 3rd, 1972 to Canada. The original colour was Agave, paint code 071.

Andreas Harz
-----------------------------------------
Available at BMW Group Classic
Phone: +49 89 382 68281
Fax: +49 89 382 24765
mailto: [email protected]
URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

k

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay, You are right, in the US it mattered. By `72 the US e9s had an EPA sticker next to the VIN plate stating the year the emissions complied with, mine says `73. Anyone with a `71 or earlier with this sticker?