Coupe Underside Paint

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We need a definitive answer as to which paint colors and other materials were utilized when our coupes were assembled. I am starting this thread to gather proof as to what is correct. Please reply if you know for a FACT which is correct, I am not looking for speculation. I have seen many different combinations, just look at BaT, but there are very few truly original coupes still out there. It is possible that City Pack cars are different from Lightweight coupes as well. I have talked to a few knowledgeable coupe owners as a start.

Ultra-lightweight CSL:

Front and Rear Valance: Satin Black, no body Schutz
Wheel Wells: Body Color, no body Schutz
Underbody: Body Color, no undercoating

CSL City Pack:

Front and Rear Valance: Body Color with Schutz
Wheel Wells: Black with Schutz
Underbody: Body Color

CS/CSA/CSi:

Front and Rear Valance: Body Color with Schutz
Wheel Wells: Body Color with Schutz (several early 2800CS reported to have black wheel wells)
Underside: Grey Undercoat over khaki primer

Once we have consensus I will delete this thread and create a FAQ thread.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris - perhaps we merge it with the FAQ -

E9 - Color placement - what color goes where?​

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My City Pack (RHD) car had a grey rubber type stuff all underneath it. Car had never been touched before I got it - assuming was OEM.
Have some pics somewhere.

I thought ultralights had some kind of light bedliner that was c=same colour as the body and BATs had something similar but in black.

Happily stand to be corrected.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Euro. Grey rubbery stuff over khaki primer
73 CS

Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
U.S. Market 1974 Coupe with 33k original miles. Patricia Mayer, the one owner car. This is the original stoneguard. On this example it is flat grey.

Attachments

• Pealing sealer taken at delivery before metal work.jpg
    Pealing sealer taken at delivery before metal work.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 83
  • rear pan.jpg
    rear pan.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 75

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know it would be extra work to keep the information current, but could you add product info? For example, it looks like Wurth is no longer making grey - or at least, all I can find right now is the black stone guard.

Dixon P

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know it would be extra work to keep the information current, but could you add product info? For example, it looks like Wurth is no longer making grey - or at least, all I can find right now is the black stone guard.
You can still get grey, I just bought some.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We will never know the brand but Wurth looks correct.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This came off my frame rails when I scraped it to bare metal - light grey rubbery stuff

IMG_3824.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we know for sure what was on US coupes, khaki primer and light grey undercoating. Just not sure if euro coupes got the same application.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 4/70 2800 CS (2270237) had never been restored or repainted. It has black paint in the wheel wells and it was done before anything was installed on the car including the bumper brackets, any of the clips that hold the wiring harness on the inner fender, any of the grommets for the brake lines or even the subframe. No overspray on anything. The rest of the car (floors, etc) has the normal schutz color. 2270236 was done the same way from the photos I have received of that car.