Converting S38B35 to use vac-style brake booster

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy!

A while ago, I acquired a S38B35 to put into my E9. It's been sitting, waiting, on an engine stand for a bit while I gather all the requisite conversion parts to switch from my current M30B35 / Motronic 1.3 / Getrag 265 setup. One of the things I noticed is the S38B35 E28 implementation used a hydraulic brake booster system, so there is not an equivalent intake vac source comparable to the one located on the intake manifold of the M30B35. I checked out the later implementations of the S38 (B36 and B38) and they have modified castings on the throttle body pair for 2 cylinders (looks like 5 + 6 physical, 1 being at the front) that includes a ~12mm vac line barb, which then goes to a unique dual-intake one-way check valve, then to the brake booster as normal.

I'd like to get the group's feedback on if it is better to go through the cost and expense of getting a later set of throttle bodies or if I should modify the ones I have by drilling + tapping the same post-throttle runners as on the later units.

Thoughts?

Here's a pic of the points on a S38B38 set of ITBs. You can see the 2 brass fittings on the upper right of the ITBs.
1707716044178.png

Here's the older set mounted on a M30. Notice it does not have those brass barbs.
1707716217499.png

Breiti

Reaction score
I would modify your exist teutle body.
I.m.o. not a big deal?

Think they build it so to avoid lean running cylinder.
So maybe it's also a alternative to mount the hydraulic booster?

Breiti

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my triple weber manifold I only use one cylinder to run the booster - no issues.
On the M10 cars with dual side drafts (1600ti,2002ti) and the 2000CS, BMW only used one of the four intake manifold ports to connect to the vacuum brake booster.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a Korman intake manifold on my Triple Weber setup - and like Steve's VGS setup, it runs the booster off a single cylinder.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unless there is a vacuum leak, there is no 'flow' as such for the brake booster. Whatever cylinder the brakes get vacuum from should behave just as the others.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless there is a vacuum leak, there is no 'flow' as such for the brake booster. Whatever cylinder the brakes get vacuum from should behave just as the others.
Perhaps, but then the brake booster would come vacuum sealed on one side from the factory and it would not even need at vacuum line :).

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps, but then the brake booster would come vacuum sealed on one side from the factory and it would not even need at vacuum line :).
Then I thought about the sealed booster and I admit it is a stupid idea. The pedal spring would be massive, and if the spring fails the car starts stopping on its own... My bad.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised BMW put in 2 but the other manifolds mentioned only have 1. Given I'm using a 2002tii booster, it should be ok to have one, then.

In that case, can I tie in the many 1/8" vac lines on the ITBs together and 'power' the booster that way, then I don't have to modify the unit at all?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is there a chance you’d pull mixture from one itb to another by linking? If so I would run just one line.