Convert to Electric? An EV E9?

brettsul

Reaction score
Yes I agree! I love the sound of an engine, the feel of gear changing, and the visceral feel of our cars...it's the reason we have them. The other reason is the aesthetic and stunning design of the E9. But before we know it we're gonna enter the world of 'Gattaca' - beautiful classic cars running on electric. More European cities are deciding to ban, or charge $, for cars over 20 years old, to run within the city. My kids want to drive my classics one day, and they'll probably have to be electric by then...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score

Written by the owner/poster in the comments on youtube:

That was a 1973 e9 with two custom 9" warp motors.. 3 ex large brushes/ holder custom made for me by George Hampstra MotorKing at Netgain Motors and Tom Brunka Lab Master at Helwig Carbon industries. these things were experimental. I had them take out a couple of turns of copper from the field coils and add another full brush to the assembly. These brush holders were milled from solid brass. Custom split brushes with 4 wires, Linear stainless springs also. Dual drive end bearings and a 1.75' 32 tooth splined output shaft also the coupling between the motors was 32 tooth spline.4-0 cables connected to 2 fully loaded Zilla's.. enough said about that. Batteries were from John Metric in gen. 2 from Derek Barger in gen. 1. I have a chart with it driven to 899 Battery HP. who knows how fast it was.

And:

Unfortunately i didn't respect the batteries and the car caught fire. it was fun while it lasted.

brettsul

Reaction score
Found this, Electric Classic Cars in the UK are working on an E9.

upload_2018-2-24_19-43-36.png

upload_2018-2-24_19-44-35.png

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it'd be awesome if they can get at least a 200 mile range and not take up ALL of the trunk.

Maybe someday, when gas is $20/gal, and conversions kits are affordable, then this kind of swap will be more common.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have been putting together build notes for an electric E9 for several months now. I am cutting my teeth on a micro bus and a small truck first and then maybe the willys but eventually either a coupe or an 02 will silently leave my shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i would thing in 5 more years it would be much eisier smaller batteries
and better elec motors.
would probably set up much better.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the idea of a clean and quiet car, but I don't know that the E9 is the ideal platform. That's a lot of weight for a 50-year-old rust-prone body. The cost for deluxe conversion by Mitch's shop mentioned above is in the six-figure range though you could DIY it for much less. But less money usually means less power and or less range and where's the fun in that?
I'm sticking with good ol' cheap, dirty, smelly stock gasoline for now.