Console resto...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a few console sides that I'm trying to (perhaps) canibalize to make a very good L & R. One of the really good ones has a hole drilled where it shouldn't be, that reamed into the aluminum half round mouding in a bad way. Q is this: Anyone ever removed said moulding? Is it heat-set into the vinyl? epoxied/glued? other-wise physically attached to the wooden substrate? Don't mean to sound Q-tip (cotton swab/buds outside the US?) anal, but I'd just like to make it as good as can be. And it looks like chit.
Dave V. in western NC

x_atlas0

Reaction score
It is actually "nailed" into the wood panel. The trim piece has short, nail-like protrusions that stick into the wood, beneath the outer covering and the padding. Thankfully, it is polished aluminum, so it is relatively easy to get back to shiny with a dremel and some polish. To get it off, you have to gently pry it off. I would suggest a felt-tipped screwdriver to prevent scratches.

I don't think they ever intended for it to be removed, as keeping it in the wood again is a bit of a bear. My wood sections had some other holes as well, but a little wood filler later, and they are just dandy beneath the new, hand-stitched covering. (that was a pain to do, let me tell you)

On the plus side, you should be able to tell when your panels were made, and perhaps by whom, as mine had both the date and the name of the maker written in pencil on them. I thought it was pretty cool.

RogerB

Reaction score
I've considered trying Dr. Vinyl to repair some small holes in my otherwise good original Scheel seats. Only problem, there's not a franchise in GA. I believe they would be a good solution for repairing console sides also. If you have reasonably good ones with good trim and just a little vinyl damage, this may be the easier route. There are several franchises in NC

http://www.drvinyl.com/services_index.html

http://www.drvinyl.com/find_doc_index.html

C

captain dig me

Try colorplus.com Ihave used there FlexFill on leather and it repaired cracks and tears awsome! you will need some of there Surflex color (black) to cover the filler which is gray. great stuff, made for leather but works great on vinyl as well . any questions just ask

CDM