Colour choice

arnie

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm actually confused about the paint of my car. What I already know is, that I don't wanna do it back to blue, no atlantik, which is it's original delivered paint and also no other blue of the time period.

I'm more or less 99% sure about a paint in Polaris, but my problem now is, that there might be two options, wright ?
Polaris and Polaris New and I heard about, that there are visible differences in these two colours. Which one would you chose and are there any pictures or cars in the net, where I could see these two versions.

Because I don't have any access to colour samples and even if I would a complete car always looks different. Of course a picture doesn't reflect the real look at all, but might give an idea about it.

Thx

Ingo

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ingo,

I believe the Polaris may just have been an early version of the silver. My car is a mid 1972 that had the original Polaris Neu color code 060. Most of the silver ones you see will be of the Neu variety. It's a great color on the car. However, getting your painter to match the correct color may be a bit trickier. I have read of painters having trouble with this. I would have the painter do a test panel (with clear over) to verify. I used the PPG paint product line and their paint catalog show codes only back to 1986. Fortunately, that was also the last year BMW used the Polaris (at least as listed in the catalog).

Let me know if you want a picture of a freshly painted Polaris Neu. You can also see them in the registry section.

Maybe someone in your town has one you could check out in person. Where are you located?

duane_sword

Reaction score
Polaris ... Photos

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351095754.598436.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351095787.452111.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score
Ingo,

However, getting your painter to match the correct color may be a bit trickier. I have read of painters having trouble with this. I would have the painter do a test panel (with clear over) to verify.

This.

I too have the code 60 Polaris. The local shop mixed it up but it is different than the color on the car. Not sure which paint MFG it was. Happily it was for the front air dam so the difference is minimal once I put the bumper back on

arnie

Reaction score
Thx for all your input

The hint with the CS Registry was very helpful, at least to figure out, that it is rather impossible to see any big differences on pictures. Sometimes I got the impression, that the older Polaris seems to be a bit darker, but there are also a lot of pictures where the Polaris New looks quite the same.

The only chance for a comparison would be 2 coupes in this two different versions standing side by side.

It might probably end up for me just to order the Polaris New from Standox and be happy with it.

Ingo

PS: @Sven: I'm living quite in the center of Germany, 30 km away from Dortmund. Not many vintage cars around so far :roll:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Again, I think the only difference was in formulation, there is no color difference between Polaris and Neu. They had trouble with their metallics back then and even more trouble with the clear coat.

arnie

Reaction score
Chris,

this is, what I wanted to read !!! :smile:
So then my choice will be way easier and I can order the basecoat now.

Thx

Ingo