collector selling out..

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I spoke to him this afternoon and am heading up there Sunday. My girlfriend has family in North Augusta and went to High School there so it was an easy sell. :mrgreen:
I will try to get chassis numbers and photos. He told me one Coupe was restored and then side swiped in an accident. He purchased it for parts since the other coupe has an incomplete drivetrain. He was going to make one car from the two. I will report back when I know more.

David

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A mega barn find. Scary evidence that this addiction doesn't have limits any more than adopting cats.

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
collector

I may be heading down there the week of Jan 11 to the 15 to scope it out and take pics of all the BMW's and maybe anything else that sparks any interest. I will post when I return and have plenty of pics to email out if anyone is interested. I will try to find out what he wants per car. Happy motoring. Tom

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Besides addiction I ruled out the two other the alternate explanations:
- Too much grass to be the cards abandoned at Dubai International airport.
- Picture pre-dates the cash for clunkers program.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I just got back from N. Augusta where I saw the large array of cars. Most of the cars, if not all, were purchased at auction and have some sort of major defect. Many have salvage titles.
There are 5 2002s and equally as many 630-35 Csi(s). There also several 7 series cars. Leon Is very nice and told me he enjoys going to auction and picking things up for very little money. He had plans to make one good car out of the many cars he had ie., One good 635 out of all the ones he owns.
The two cars that peeked my interest were the e9 cars neither of which hold my interest for me at this point in time. I feel they are both beyond repair and have little to offer parts wise. Leon wants $3000 for the pair.
First is a 3.0 CS, Fjord Blue, and has been hit hard on the left side. The interior has not been adequately protected from the weather and has heavy mold. The rear windshield is gone.
The second is a 2800 CS, Polaris, and is missing the entire top end of the motor. The trunk lid is rusted through as is the top of the top of the driver's door. The upholstery is very bad. The front windshield is starting to delaminate.
I have attached photos and will record VINs in the register.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 151

Bertocchi

Reaction score
2800 CS Photos

As described;

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 129

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for going there to bring the dogtags...
One should always have a bugle to play Taps on these visits.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
What sort of auction sells cars like these?

It was my understanding that these auctions took place (for the e9s) many years ago. The 3.0 had been restored just prior to its' accident and was in very nice condition, other than the crash damage when parked. The 2800 blew a head gasket and it was discovered when the head was removed that the head was badly cracked. The 3.0 engine was supposed to end up in the 2800?
All of this could have happened some 15 years ago?