Coil Springs

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 1972 3.0CS, which I've had for many years; the car is sitting a bit low in the rear. For those of you old schoolers that remember Miller & Norburn in North Carolina that's where these springs came from, they use to have their own springs wound.
I'd like to install a new spring set, I have 16" Alpinas with a-symmetrical tire sizes installed. What brand springs do you guy's recommend and what drop do you suggest?

Thanks,
Doug

YBNormal

Reaction score
Carl Nelson's springs

La Jolla Independent (San Diego) has them for $400 a set including shipping. These seem to be the most popular, with a good balance of ride and handling. If you do a search for "uprated springs" there is good thread on the subject.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I also have Carl's springs with 16' Alpina. I think my tires are similar to the one you decribe. The car has just the right stance. I would say front end comes 2 - 3 inches and rear about 1in.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have Suspension Techniques springs all round bought from Carl a few years ago - not sure these are what he sells now - they are a silver colour. I really like the compromise between ride and handling.
I also have the 16" rims and have not rolled the fenders, I am careful about it but having measured the tyre width it seems they are narrower than a lot of other 205's people have fitted so I'm hoping I will not have to.

Rohan