Clutch Outside Diameter

kfrito789

Reaction score
I am getting the last pieces for my 4 to 5 speed conversion gathered for my 72 3.0cs. I had the 3.0 flywheel lighten and will use that with my 3.5 engine. I have always been a fan of Sach clutches, so I looked at the app guide and found that there are two clutches, a 8.5 O.D. for 71-73 cars and a 9.5 O.D. for 74 and up. My question is; will the 9.5 fit the early flywheel? Any advice will help

cpeavey

Reaction score
I checked my blue books, and the clutch specs do not show any distinction between the 2800CS and the 3.0CS. Only the CSL has a different clutch ("2 green dots" vs. "green dot"). I don't know if this helps.

Charlie

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
The clutch dia will be less than the max flywheel diameter because of the stepped area where the pressure plate attaches. It will, of course, be equal to the flywheel's friction section dia. On my 2800's flywheel the stepped area is approx 1" wide and encircles the entire clutch friction area. This step sits .02" below the clutch friction surface. See attached pic of the clutch disk mated to the flywheel. The exposed area beyond the clutch disc dia is where the pressure plate attaches.

Attachments

• Fly+clutch.jpg
    Fly+clutch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68