Changing contact breaker points (stock ignition 3.0 csi)

decampos

Reaction score
I've not actually done this before but am hoping it's fairly straightforward. I've also managed to dig out my dad's old dwell meter. Any tips? Anything I need to watch out for?
Many thanks
Ben

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Yes: the quality of points you can buy today is shabby. They wear prematurely or can even fail completely. The condenser as well.

Get a pertronics or Lumenition, install it, set the ignition once and never have to do it again!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One word: Pertronix. Install it and forget about points and put the dwell meter back away :mrgreen:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If putting in points, I'd just use a feeler gauge to set the gap. Put a tiny amount of silicone grease on the cam. I usually rock the car in gear to get to the high point on the lobe(Assuming you have a manual trans). As others have said, Pertronix or a Crane unit will be a good addition, but fresh points do the job too.

MMercury

Reaction score
I've not actually done this before but am hoping it's fairly straightforward. I've also managed to dig out my dad's old dwell meter. Any tips? Anything I need to watch out for?
Many thanks
Ben

It is fairly straightforward.

Unless you misplace the screw that secures the points! A magnet and a good set of eyes can be very helpful. (Knowing bicycle repairman's whereabouts is probably never a bad idea!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw )

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6037

Adding to what others have said, capacitive discharge ignition system can make those same points last 20+ years. : http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html

BreakerMoving.gif

autobooks_manual_048.jpg

DualPoints.jpg

decampos

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps, there's a good info there to me to unpack. MMercury, thanks for posting those pics, very useful.

I've already bought the points so I really should install them. Regarding Pertronix, I hear what you're saying. I'll have to do my homework to get a handle on that concept. If there's a 'for dummies' introduction and walk-through for such a set-up, please feel free to post a link. (I always do a search for info before posting but the results can be overwhelming and posts are often written with an assumption of knowledge).

decampos

Reaction score

Hi MMercury. Apologies for not being clear in my last post. I meant a walk-through for setting up a Pertronix system or similar as I will go down that road at some point in the future as I like the maintenance-free aspect of such a set up.

In the meantime I'll be installing the points and using the write up you attached in your other post as a guide.

MMercury

Reaction score