Ceylon

Nitro

Reaction score
Hello,

Concerning color Ceylon gold, BMW color code 008, I have a question:

Are there two different variants of this color?

I always thought that there is only one color Ceylon without variants. However, recently the garage who is going to do the paint job using this color phoned me and asked which variant I’d like to have.
Does anyone know something about variants of color Ceylon?

Cheers
Robin

Attachments

• Ceylon E9.jpg
    Ceylon E9.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,224
Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Carl Nelson has a beautiful Ceylon in La Jolla that is pretty much a 100 point car. It might be worth an email to him.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A couple of years ago when I had my car painted, Glasurit still had the formula for the color nachtblau, 040, in their system. This was for the two stage base/clear solvent based system they offer. If your painter has access to Glasurit, I recommend that you ask him to use their formula. I doubt that BMW offered two different shades of a fairly limited color but I could be wrong.

As for the car that was featured on Carl Nelson's web site, I believe it resides in Utah now and the owner sometimes posts here. Perhaps he will see this and provide more information.

Ceylon seems to be a color that polarizes people. I happen to love it so lucky you if you have one that was originally that color.

Nitro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I guess my painter has access to colors of Glasurit and other companies like Standox etc. Next Thursday I'll see him and ask for clarification. And of course I'll post the findings here.
Yes, my CSi was one of the few originally delivered in Ceylon. This color also polarizes within myself: When it was introduced 1971 I hated it, now I love it.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I was considering Ceylon for my car.

I googled and looked at lots of pictures and the range I saw was very wide.

From pretty much gold to dark bronze.

This is even accounting for light and so.

I still believe an E9 in gold would be absolutely beautiful. Would look nice parked next to the Baikal :) I saw a pic of a gold 2002 once, cannot find it now :(

E9-3.jpg

pumpkin3.jpg

biga4.jpg

DSC00190.JPG

966205.jpg

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andreas might confirm that the Ceylon CSL was delivered with diamond incrusted interior to a pimp in Hamburg. Only 4 such cars were produced and designated as the pimpmobile package. The bullet holes were dealer installed, literally.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glauserit Expense in U.S.

I had my current project, Sixto, painted/body worked in Aug of 2013 with all Glauserit paint products. I decided on Turkis 065 and the work by All Quality Restoration in SoCal turned out great. When I got the final invoices and paper work I totaled up the Glauserit paint supplies that included etching primer, primer, 1.5 gals of base, clear coat, stabilizers, hardeners and reducers and it all added up to $3,875. Because Glauserit has limited distribution in the U.S. they seem to not care about what they charge for their products. In the entire LA area of CA there are only 2 distributors of their products.

I don't know what it is like in Europe but I would imagine most body/paint shops will shy away from using Glauserit because of the expense. Richard at All Quality said that my paints were 2-3 times as expensive as his other German quality paint. When we went to order the Turkis 065 paint from the distributor there was no question about what it was or what the formula was. I think if you want the real deal for any of our Coupe colors that ordering from Glauserit is the best option.

Regards, Jon

waynesie

Reaction score
I just bought this ceylon 2002tii. They guy I got it from just did not like the color. I am still on the fence but will stay with it. It was repainted, and not quite the right shade.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 622

Nitro

Reaction score
@Peter Coomaraswamy:
Hahaha! :) Sometimes I ask myself who has invented the names of the colors and what the motivation was.

@johanaxelson:
Hello Johan,
I think your 3 low pictures show cars with ‘Ceylon’, the second from top looks more like ‘Kaschmir’ (http://www.bmw-cscoupe.com/farben/farben.html), and the upper picture shows definitely non-metallic color ‘Colorado’.

@Ives:
Do you maybe mean the color producer ‘G l a s u r i t’?

I think colors look completely different on different cars. On the E9 most colors look good because the beautiful E9 design makes most colors looking nicely, e.g. on an E9 I like ‘Ceylon’ or ‘Colorado’ whereas on the E10 I don’t like these colors.
I saw recently the color ‘Mint’ the very first time in my life on an E9. And to my surprise the impression wasn’t too bad. Same applies for 'Pastell'.

Nitro

Reaction score
Meanwhile, I got an answer from the painter about the 2 variants of Ceylon:

There is the original color Ceylon metallic as it has been used from 04/1971 until 10/1973 (before it was replaced by Sienabrown metallic after the facelift).

There is also a brighter Ceylon than the original color. This variant is used when only single parts of a car have to be painted like fenders, trunk lid etc. Ceylon becomes brighter over the years and consequently, the brighter Ceylon is used to get it closer to the rest of the car.

I attached pictures of my CSi with the new painting in original Ceylon.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 375

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yeah ... i like it. it reminds me why i am still upset with myself for not buying Peter Tackas's ceylon w/ tan leather interior. who bought that coupe?