Carburetor and Gas pump overheating

RIQUE

Reaction score
I have had some success with adding a phenolic/Bakelite 8mm spacer between the carb and intake manifold. That helps to isolate the carb body from the heat of the engine.

Thanks, Rick
Nice Idea. Can you help with information on how you sourced the backelite? How you cut out. Appreciate

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have noticed vacuum in my tank as removing the cap is difficult and then opens with a pop. Is there a vent I should check I also notice fumes inside the car....mild but noticeable.
Jackpot. The vent tube attaches to the fuel filler neck - check where it leads as DeQ says. If no tube then you need a vented cap.

stphers

Reaction score
I bought some BAKELITE from amazon/ebay Had a local guy with a water jet cutter cut some out for me You can get extra thick base gaskets ( but only 4 mm thick ) from Pierce Manifolds that are for a Weber 32/36 Same bolt pattern as the coupe carbs Use one and probably not have to use extended studs

1695276531757.png

Thanks, Rick

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought some BAKELITE from amazon/ebay Had a local guy with a water jet cutter cut some out for me You can get extra thick base gaskets ( but only 4 mm thick ) from Pierce Manifolds that are for a Weber 32/36 Same bolt pattern as the coupe carbs Use one and probably not have to use extended studs

View attachment 168646

Thanks, Rick

well, nice,
a question i do have about this
how does this common opening matches with the two different openings in the manifold and in the carbs ?

RIQUE

Reaction score

View attachment 168646

Thanks, Rick
What thickness backelite?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What thickness backelite?

i see a bit like snakeoil, unsure,
i understand you will tend to try anything, but
that is trying to stop a part of conduction of heat, i say part because your have the studs, and all the conduction and convection around

it does not convince me very much
you car has this problem when you stop, so not conduction for me, more air dissipation
again, find the cause, IMHO

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Placing a phenolic spacer is not 'snake oil' - many cars come that way out of the factory.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Placing a phenolic spacer is not 'snake oil' - many cars come that way out of the factory.

i love when something may work for me because it works in OTHER conditions
so…
put it this way,
my car goes well without, so it is not needed, so the problem is elsewhere
so I say for me IT IS snake oil, understanding something it is not necessary for the purpose of the problem i am dealing with...

Last edited:

Ulrich 3.0 CSA

Reaction score
Hello
The fuel line shouldn‘t touch the hot cylinderhead.
I had problems with starting the hot engine in hot climate.
Because airfilter housing will get also hot.
After fuel line routing was modified as shown on foto I didn’t had any problems. I also used a clamp/holder to pull the fuel line away from the airfilter housing
Ulrich

44FFE383-E47B-4265-A2D6-1EBD1E7EF1DC.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
IT IS snake oil,
Sorry to go down this rat hole: snake oil is something which has falsely claimed function. These spacers do have ability to insulate so their function is not false.

Whether or not you need them on your car has nothing to do with their functional properties.

A better choice of words for you is “superfluous” or maybe “unnecessary”

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to go down this rat hole: snake oil is something which has falsely claimed function. These spacers do have ability to insulate so their function is not false.

Whether or not you need them on your car has nothing to do with their functional properties.

A better choice of words for you is “superfluous” or maybe “unnecessary”

oooohhh i appreciate being educated in language; thank you
i did not have that connotation of falseness

apologies i speak perfect basque and spanish, my english is improving thanks to these interactions

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. For vapor lock the problem would occur when the fuel is no longer liquid before reaching the pump. That suggests that the overall heat of the engine bay matters more than carb temperature. Lack of tank venting is listed number one in the technical manual as a cause for poor fuel pressure. This also explains the no start after driving, as the tank accumulated negative pressure and the pump operates at the lowest RPMs at crank time.
My wild guess is that this could be thermal, could be pressure, or both.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
oooohhh i appreciate being educated in language; thank you
i did not have that connotation of falseness

apologies i speak perfect basque and spanish, my english is improving thanks to these interactions
Sorry for being the language jerk