Buying car out of state

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, all. This actually isn't an e9/e3 question but I thought those on this forum might have experience with this. I'm buying a used car from a private seller out of state. I'm going to fly out there to finalize the transaction at my bank, but since it's 2200 miles away driving it back is not really an option. So I'm going to ship it. My question is whether there are any companies that will hold your vehicle for a week or two until the transport company is ready to pick it up. I know I could ask the seller to deal with the shipping for me but I'm wondering what other options others have used. Thanks for any thoughts!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree with Dan and Scott, But...when you pay the seller and receive the title, it is YOUR car. Make sure you have it fully insured at that point and that your insurance company is aware of how it is being stored, where, and for how long prior to shipment to you.

Generally the seller will keep it in a secured, covered location for X number of weeks for you, then charge you for storage if it goes beyond that. They will also be there when the transport company loads the vehicle. If it is going on a multi vehicle transport that won't fit in the seller's neighborhood, the seller will generally bring it to a location that works for the carrier. The seller wants the deal to work and for you to be happy. To have him not participate in the process of getting the car to you would be unlikely.

I shipped one car to a buyer that was picked up next day. They came with a huge pickup and a 2 car enclosed carrier. They took the car to their marshalling location in Seattle where they put together loads that made sense from a routing standpoint. Obviously they had the volume to do this and worked with many actual carriers. BTW you will virtually never make the transport deal directly with the transport company or the truck owner. It's mostly done through brokers.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, rsporsche and Dick have just given you the best advice you could hope for. Here is my farthing worth.

I just bought an e3 from MN; I live in eastern PA. Question, if the deal is done why not a wire transfer and save yourself the time and money. If you have seen enough photos of all the critical places, a driving and cold start video and had an independent party do a PPI what else is there?

I bought my Bavaria in early Jan. But the seller had it tucked in a garage for the long MN winter. And this year it happened to be longer and snowier than most other winters.

Storing your car for a week or two should NOT be an issue.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...if the deal is done why not a wire transfer and save yourself the time and money
I agree if the ONLY reason you are going is to pay the seller and get the title. The buyer should FedEx the title overnight to you when the wire transfer is in his account (same day or next day). Another option is the use of an escrow service. The service holds the funds from the buyer until they have the title from the seller then they complete the transaction for both parties.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all of the sensible advice. I always appreciate the input from those on the forum. I think I'm still going to fly out to close the deal just because I feel better doing it that way and seeing and driving the car before handing over my funds, but I feel encouraged to ask the seller to work with me on transport. Thanks gain.