Bumper repair question

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a set of rear bumpers that is fairly straight. But all of the nut holes have been either drilled out or had the bolt cut off while still in there. See photos.

I am wondering what the best way to return this bumper to useable state would be. for the drilled nuts, I am thinking one would have to cut the bracket off in order to be able to clean up the mess in the back and then re-weld a nut there. Is that right? For the bolts, should they be drilled out and then re-tapped?

I am tempted to just bring them to Speedway and open my wallet again, but I'd like to know for sure there isn't a home remedy available first.

Thank you for any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 145

jmackro

Reaction score
I am tempted to just bring them to Speedway and open my wallet again, but I'd like to know for sure there isn't a home remedy available first.

I think you are on the right track with the idea: "one would have to cut the bracket off in order to be able to clean up the mess in the back and then re-weld a nut there." I doubt any home remedy involving JB Weld and hardware store parts would be satisfactory.

By "Speedway" do you mean Speedway Polishing at 1979 Ritchey St in Santa Ana? I love those guys, they are real miracle workers, but they may not be able to help you on this one. I brought them a job involving welding a year or so ago, and they said they couldn't handle it. This was on a stainless steel bumper - perhaps they will weld conventional steel.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well
Drilling and tapping to the next size up might work. How about drilling out the old buggered nuts. Mig in place some little patches that you made with sheet steel and either rivnuts or regular nuts tacked into place. I don't see why you need to remove the brackets?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the easiest thing to do would be to cut off the faceplate that goes against the body and weld a new piece that has nuts tacked in to place so that you can reattach the bumper using oem hardware. just be sure to measure carefully.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track with the idea: "one would have to cut the bracket off in order to be able to clean up the mess in the back and then re-weld a nut there." I doubt any home remedy involving JB Weld and hardware store parts would be satisfactory.

By "Speedway" do you mean Speedway Polishing at 1979 Ritchey St in Santa Ana? I love those guys, they are real miracle workers, but they may not be able to help you on this one. I brought them a job involving welding a year or so ago, and they said they couldn't handle it. This was on a stainless steel bumper - perhaps they will weld conventional steel.

Thanks Jay. By home remedy I did not mean JB weld or anything like that? Rather I was thinking about proper welding but that can be done at home.

Yes I was referring to Speedway in Santa Ana.

They do not weld or plate, just straighten and polish then clear.

Good to know. Thanks Chris.

Thank you befog and Mike. Great tips.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, I am no metal fabricator, but with the way those holds are messed up I would consider working to remove what remains of the bolts from those holes and then making a small plate to go behind the bracket, with the holes in the plate in the same position as the original holes. If you make the plate the same width (or slightly smaller) as the inside of the portion of the bumper bracket that contacts the body, it won't move and you'll end up mounting the bumper in the original location. Obviously, longer bolts will be needed and care will be needed with the way the new plate mates to the inside of the bracket surface.

Actually, I would not use bolts at all. When I did mine, I tossed the bolts and used threaded studs. That way you have the option of threading them into the bumper first, or holding the bumper in place and threading the studs through the trunk and into the bumper. I also put rubber washers on the outside of my car where the bracket contacts the body to hopefully keep moisture out.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actually, I would not use bolts at all. When I did mine, I tossed the bolts and used threaded studs. That way you have the option of threading them into the bumper first, or holding the bumper in place and threading the studs through the trunk and into the bumper. I also put rubber washers on the outside of my car where the bracket contacts the body to hopefully keep moisture out.

Brilliant! I love that idea. Those bumpers are hard enough to install as it is. Thanks Ohmess!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I also used studs to attach the ends of the bumper that attach to the fender. Ordered studs from Belmetric with the same diameter and thread pitch as the bolts originally used. I ordered the nuts I used on the ends of the studs from them too.