Bumper damage. What is this going to cost me ?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hopefuly someone here has had the same problem. What can I expect to pay to patch a rust hole ( about the size of a quarter, but with a fair amount of surounding rust) on a rear bumper and re-chrome the entire bumper ( simple chrome, not show-level chrome) ? That hole makes me wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to source a part without the hole and rust for new chrome.

Thanks

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It would depend on the condition of all 4 parts of the bumper (assuming an early style bumper). It would not make sense to replace just one piece if the others are also in poor condition.

I spent around $900-1,000 (a couple of years ago) to have all four pieces re-chromed. The to main pieces had surface rust on the backside and pitting of the chrome. The two smaller overriders had more series pitting and maybe a few pin holes. These where repaired (brazed, I think) and also re-chromed. Chrome level just below show.

jmackro

Reaction score
David:

If your bumper is so rusted that it has a hole clear through it, then it's history. Finding a good used bumper shouldn't be all that difficult, especially since you live here in S. Calif., where coupes are plentiful, and rust is less of an issue. Start by calling the usual suspects (CoupeKing, Carl Nelson), as well as checking ebay, putting a notice here on the e9 forum, ....

Replating bumpers is costly - it isn't worth the investment unless the underlying metal is in decent shape - e.g., not mostly rusted away.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's what I figured---repairing a rust hole on a bumper would be big bucks. I'm still looking for one if anybody has one for sale. Just need one nice enough to re-chrome.

Thanks.