Broadspeed-Cooper CS racer info sought

shanon

Reaction score
Thought I'd relocate this for an increased search:

Here's an article from Motor Sport, July 1972, The Broadspeed-Cooper CS racer is tested and also a CSL prototype road/press car is tested. This article seems to just pre-date the official CSL launch.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...BMW article/

Anybody know where the cars are today?

Also, it mentions a British BMW race tuner, Mathwall engineering, anybody got more info/pics on them?

Enjoy.

-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
Thought so but wasn't sure.
Looks like the road car is sporting early Alpina 2pc wheels. Wonder if they were involved with setting up the press car.

Thanks for the info.
-shanon

chicane

Reaction score
Thought I'd relocate this for an increased search:

Here's an article from Motor Sport, July 1972, The Broadspeed-Cooper CS racer is tested and also a CSL prototype road/press car is tested. This article seems to just pre-date the official CSL launch.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...BMW article/

Anybody know where the cars are today?

Also, it mentions a British BMW race tuner, Mathwall engineering, anybody got more info/pics on them?

Enjoy.

-shanon

Your link is broken.

roundel

Reaction score
Broadspeed CSL

Some info,
After the cars one & only race it was taken back to Munich, at some point it was sold to Vasek Polak & went to California. It was raced locally for one or two seaons, by this time it was no longer british racing green, but now in BMW Motorsport colours. Polak bought another ex works CSL at the end of 1975 & the Broadspeed car went into storage. When he died & his cars were sold I brought the car to the UK & then sold it to Sweden. It is now back home in Munich.
Alex

chicane

Reaction score
Some info,
After the cars one & only race it was taken back to Munich, at some point it was sold to Vasek Polak & went to California. It was raced locally for one or two seaons, by this time it was no longer british racing green, but now in BMW Motorsport colours. Polak bought another ex works CSL at the end of 1975 & the Broadspeed car went into storage. When he died & his cars were sold I brought the car to the UK & then sold it to Sweden. It is now back home in Munich.
Alex

Do you have any pics of the car. What material are the original (British racing green) racing fenders made out of?

shanon

Reaction score
Thanks you very much for the reply Alex.

Is the car still 'intact' as built by Broadspeed or was it cannibalized or morphed into something else (Grp 5?) when it joined the Polak campaign? I remember the Polak sale, heard about a bunch of flares and bits, had no idea this was in there......

The Broadspeed car is one of my favorite all time CS racers, such a lovely build.

thanks again,
-shanon

roundel

Reaction score
Broadspeed coupe

The car was incredibly original, I remember studying the photos from the Motorsport article while looking at the car 28 years later & every switch ec...in the ****pit was exactly the same. Still had original Firestone wets from 1974.
As mentioned earlier it was repainted by Polak in the same scheme as the `73 factory cars. Not quite as nice as the original green (under the green was either Inka or Colorado...). The only other change was the engine, Polak had fitted a `73 3;5 litre M52/3 engine.
Have some photos somewhere.

Alex

shanon

Reaction score
...love to see them sometime.

Re: 'back in Munich'...is at the factory or in a private collection.........?

-shanon

chicane

Reaction score
Yeah, would love to see them as well. Very, very interesting story. Thanks much.

2275xxx

Reaction score
The car, as it was when it was sent to Broadspeed.
IIRC it was Inka orange.
Many parts came from Schnitzer: wing extensions, wheels, steering wheel, water tank,...

Here a picture displayed in the February 1972 issue of the French "Sport-Auto".

Attachments

• Sport Auto 2-1972.jpg
    Sport Auto 2-1972.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 205

sprintevo

Reaction score
seen recently

I have seen this car recently - or at least one that looks just like it with the early style arches - in white with a blue side stripe. It looks lovely, still has the original mag alloy wheels and utilises lightweight panels .... priceless

roundel

Reaction score
RE back in Munich

No not back at BMW, but with a collector who has a couple of other CSL race cars. I have found some pictures but in the wrong format for me to easily post, I am working on it.
Alex

roundel

Reaction score
CSL engine bay

Will post a few more later. Alex

Attachments

• Broadspeed engine 003.jpg
    Broadspeed engine 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 208

roundel

Reaction score
Riverside 1974

A period picture.

Attachments

• CSL at Riverside1.jpg
    CSL at Riverside1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 259

roundel

Reaction score
Broadspeed CSL

You can see the Inka, the car had a light restoration around 1999 just to preserve & make it race worthy.
Alex

Attachments

• Broadspeed floorpanels 05.03 002.jpg
    Broadspeed floorpanels 05.03 002.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 214