brake master cylinder identification

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the new MC in the pics? I was told it was for a RHD 3.0 csi/l but apparantly it is not. Any ideas?

Regards,

Rohan

P1010030.jpg

P1010029.jpg

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas? I managed to buy two being told they were for RHD coupes but it seems they are not!

Thanks,

Rohan

MMercury

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with RHD brake plumbing, but I have seen both style units. I would expect that any decent BMW parts counterman should know the difference. The two units pictured appear to be the same overall length but the mounting points are obviously different (angle and depth). Interestingly enough, the newer unit pictured (PN 34311102812) appears to be correct according to at least one catalog source, which leads me to wonder if the master cylinder style isn't related more directly to the hydraulic booster to which it is mated.

Forgetting about the angle of the mount and position of the inlet and outlet orifices, would the newer unit (with the shorter neck) bolt up on your car's hydraulic booster? I can envision repositioning the plastic inlet tubes and manipulating the brake lines, but that is meaningless if you are unable to physically mount the MC.

MTk0NzlfcA==.png

I noticed somewhere that there were different servos called for depending on date of manufacture (+March 73?) Another thought is to contact Linwar in the UK as they advertise rebuilt units specifically for the right hand drive E9. http://www.linwar.com/e9_134_31106_45.html
http://www.linwar.com/contact_us.html

Best of luck.

x-134.31105.38.gif

pic.php

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
MM - many thanks - Great idea to email Linwar and have done so - It won't mount up to my car due to the different oreintation of the holes.

Linwar should be able to put me right as sadly a modern BMW parts counter would here in London be hopeless!

Many thanks,

Rohan

timt

Reaction score
Rohan, I recently had a new MC fitted on my car, can find out the source on my next visit ... to add to the steering joint! Also had new servos, neither came from Linwar but a couple of other items have. The "shop" used their own source possibly direct from the manufacturer. Tim T

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Tim, thanks.

I sent an email to Linwar but probably wont hear back.

I reckon its for a 2.5cs or something.

I ordered a UJ from W and N as i had to get a few bits and its the right one - the fine splines are correct for the manual box I have and these are the same as the original.

Strange you had to mess about with yours?

Regards,

Rohan

timt

Reaction score
Rohan, hi, saw an early M535i last night and the MC looked very similar but as I wasn't looking at that specifically would not want to bet too heavily! However, it was an excellent car, well looked after and very desirable but not for sale.

I had a manual steering box put on my car 15 or so years ago, I don't know where it was sourced but came with the lower steering column. That box was shot and last year I replaced it with a box from W&N and we then discovered the mismatch with the splines. Our guess is that the earlier manual box came from an early CS and pre-fine splines. As my original lower column had "disappeared" the solution became a made up joint with coarse and fine splines at opposite ends - more expense! Hey ho, others please take note and beware. Tim T

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump - anyone got any ideas? Still as yet unidentified which car the new MC pictured above goes on?

Thanks,

Rohan

MMercury

Reaction score
Bump - anyone got any ideas? Still as yet unidentified which car the new MC pictured above goes on?

Thanks,

Rohan

Random thoughts:

As with many of these parts, there are many variants. There are two parts that outwardly resemble your "new": master cylinder. PN 34311102219 fits a right hand drive E21. It looks exactly like the PN 34311102812 (for E9, E12, E24) - except for its 2mm smaller bore.

Using the lower diagram, it would appear that the "new/unused" master cylinder is correct for your car. This makes one wonder if the "used" master pictured was not original or was a replacement used to mate with another replacement part.

Look at the lower diagram for an item labeled "hydraulic brake booster." Note the configuration of the attachment flange and the bolt holes. It mimics those on your "used" master cylinder. How is your used master mated to the "booster?" The picture almost suggest the two parts are really one. Is it possible, your used master did not attach to a "booster" as depicted in the diagram - as the bolt/flange configuration seems too similar to ignore. Is it likewise possible that your used master is part of a one-off set up used only on RHD csl's?

To reiterate, your used master cylinder seems to be the exception. Of the few RHD master cylinders I have seen, none look like your used exemplar. It may seem remote, but have you considered sending your photos to W&N or Jaymic or even ATE with the following request: "Do you recognize us?" and "To which cars do we belong?"

hth

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Rohan,

The top one(used) MC in your 1st post is the same as was pulled from my 3.0 csi.

I am looking to rebuild with new seals; but cannot understand how/why suppliers can justify ~£90 on a seal kit!

Chris

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought my MC seal kit from either Jaymic (very nice people) or Big Red (a well known and respected brake caliper repair company). I don’t recall them being expensive whoever actually supplied them.
The rebuild is not especially difficult, just go slowly, keep everything super clean and make sure that the bore is super clean and not rusty which is abrasive.