brake line problem

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't loosen the connection between the flexible brake line and the metal line on my 74 (front caliper). Almost rounded off the nuts even with brake line wrenches. Can a torch be used to heat up the connection like with rusty nuts/bolts? Anybody know of any other tricks? Good old Vise grips? Thanks.

Bill
Stockton, NJ

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Brake hose removal

Two words: Vice Grips.

Yes you can use a torch. But you will render most pieces exposed to the heat useless or questionable.

Once you have the vice grips on tight, you should be able to "bang" the tool (*with back of palm, fist, dead blow hammer etc.) and break the seemingly insurmountable grip of the two connected parts. Needless to say, you want to brace the attached brake line so that it does not absorb the torque. Otherwise, you are going to be replacing or splicing brake line, in which case, you may as well use a torch and a chainsaw.

Good luck!

Honolulu

Reaction score
in your situation

What is likely to happen is that although vise grips are the only tool that will loosen the brake line nut, the brake line is likely itself frozen to that godforsaken nut.

So what will happen is that you'll twist out the nut, but twist off the brake line, then you'll need another nut, and a flaring tool for whatever remains of the brake line.

I have been this route several times, thankfully on the neighbor's rusty '57 Tbird, not my coupe. But the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) has brake line in stock, and we have a flaring tool. I've learned to use it.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
There are some really good penetrating oil products available. PB Blaster seems to be widely available at auto parts stores. I use Kroil and BG's Inforce, but thry are harder to find.

I use them on any questionable fasteners and I use anti-seize compound for reassembly, especially for steel fasteners in aluminum.