BMW E12

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For those that follow such things I dragged home a 528i project (read near wreck) a few days back. The 528i was the top line E12 other than the outlier MLE and the later M535i.

My question is this. E9s, E30s and even E28s (M5 and M535i) are all moving away in values - seemingly on a consistent trend.

What is our collective view on the E12? It has may design elements and parts to the E9 - I'd take one over an E3 any day - but values remain low.

That said, only one on open market here in Aus Do we think a bit of a sleeper? Has some racing pedigree, looks cool and you can get loads of parts and also do some cool modifications and/or B7 replica.

I'm thinking this may be one car where the extra 2 doors don't really hurt it. Looks super cool, and you can throw kids in the back. Same way e30 4 doors have.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a new one when they came out. Great driving car.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
As ever, prices of car models move, following closely the age of their respective buyers. Cars that were cool when people were in their 18's/20's tend to increase in value when these same people turn 45/50-isch; often when disposable income allows for some fun. This typically works for most cars that have some sporty history or luxurious, but not for your average John Doe vehicle.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Almost 700k cars built, needs to pass emissions in the US. The emissions mechanism is dreaded by mechanics.
I love that model!

If it gets no love it eventually be scarce and loved when there is one left, in a Yogi Berra type of way.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love an E12 with euro bumpers and 5 speed, completely de-smogged, lowered, and slightly hot-rodded. Beautiful wood accented interiors like E9/E3's.

otter74

Reaction score
I have had a thing for E3s in particular since high school (early 90s), when a classmate sometimes drove his dad's beautiful Arctic Blue Bavaria. They were dirt cheap for ever and ever and ever and started climbing somewhat a few years ago. Still affordable. A year and a half ago a local acquaintance who had a nice one told me he was thinking of selling it and was I interested. Yes, I was. Eventually he offered it to me (with lots of spare parts) for what I knew was a very nice price. Still, it was slightly more than I wanted to spend, especially since I would be selling a car to pay myself back for it, and I ended up passing. I immediately regretted it, but it sold on BaT for substantially more than he offered it to me for, and exactly what he thought he'd get for it. So, big BMW sixes on my mind, I started thinking about E12s, thinking that I'd enjoy one just as much and the parts situation would be a bit easier. I found a nice one, slightly hot-rodded (BAR-legal B35/5-speed swap) one in California last May, and had an awesome road trip home with it. I'll be happy to sell it for what I bought it for. My best guess about values of these in the future, from a US standpoint, is that they will eventually start getting more expensive, maybe lagging a few years behind E3s. There were more of them than E3s, but a lot fewer than E28s, and they're hard to find. Nice ones will probably slowly gain value, beater ones maybe not. I think this is all pretty market-specific and I'm not sure anything I could say about the US would hold for Australia. As a car to enjoy driving, I think it's every bit what an E3 is, probably a bit more.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The following statement is not based on actual data...only my gut feeling from loosely following E3s, E12s, and E28s.

It seems like the E12's have been somewhat skipped over by collectors. My observation is that nice E28s (even etas) bring more money than nice E12s. I'm not quite sure why this is (if it is true). The E28 may have a more refined shape and a more upscale interior than the E12 but retains the the E3 "look" except at a smaller scale? In any case, the E12 may well be a "bargain" for BMW collectors.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To quote Dick above, "The following statement is not based on actual data...."

My Bavaria and the four others I have owned(two parts cars in the herd)were/are the most beautiful sedan BMW ever built. They are emblematic(?) of the late 60s to mid -70s era BMWs. Flowing curves, simplier dashes, more glass, and most important, power and agility like no other car in their class. Perhaps that's why they are finally appreciated and appreciating faster than those E12 and E28 models.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are "Classic Cars" ie those with attributes that may include all or some of the following: limited or low production numbers, motorsport heritage, unique or great design (eg e9, e9 Csl, e30 M3, e12 MLE, M535, e28 M5, 2002, 2002 Turbo etc).

Then there are just "Old Cars". Which are becoming increasingly costly to preserve and maintain, yet with no value upside (imo)

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are "Classic Cars" ie those with attributes that may include all or some of the following: limited or low production numbers, motorsport heritage, unique or great design (eg e9, e9 Csl, e30 M3, e12 MLE, M535, e28 M5, 2002, 2002 Turbo etc).

Then there are just "Old Cars". Which are becoming increasingly costly to preserve and maintain, yet with no value upside (imo)

I think E12s are a bit of a sleeper. Think back 5 years and the MLE was sort of an unknown. Now it features on magazine covers, BMW museums etc. That lifts the profile of the model generally. the M535i is also a pretty cool (and rare) car that's also coming into it's own. Throw in some racing history and the Alpina B7 & B7 S and you have the makings of a following.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i loved our e12 and the e3 - had both at the same time. the e12 had a few minor design issues - mainly the rear windows. a bit more refined than the e3 ...
the e12 is kind of like the e21 - great cars / great values in todays market compared with e28 and e30. what i like about the e12 / e21 is they were seemingly smaller + lighter and therefore more 'tossable' cars ... more fun to drive on a really twisty road.