BMW commerical during the Olympics

TodB

Reaction score
Did anyone see the BMW USA commercial during the Olympics last night? I spotted an 02, 02 cabrio, 325 cabrio, E12, 507, etc. I think there was a coupe in there also. I had never seen this commercial before.

Does anyone know if there is a link to it on the web?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9s were barely shown..the front of one E9, without bumper, is not good enough. The footage of the 507 was nice, but you would have thought BMW might have shown a little more of the most beautiful car they ever produced, no? Our Coupes are so unappreciated by Munich!

chicane

Reaction score
E9s were barely shown..the front of one E9, without bumper, is not good enough. The footage of the 507 was nice, but you would have thought BMW might have shown a little more of the most beautiful car they ever produced, no? Our Coupes are so unappreciated by Munich!

Lighten up it's just a commercial. BMW is less enthused about showing old models and more interested in getting you to buy their new models.

pmansson

Reaction score
BMW in 2010

With a production of 1,5 M cars a year, BMW will never be an exclusive car.
It was 40 years ago but not any longer, with any fastfood employee driving a second hand car with a baseball cap turned backwards.
Fortunately our cars share very little with modern BMWs...

jmackro

Reaction score
Fortunately our cars share very little with modern BMWs

Speaking of Olympics ads, the one I found interesting from a BMW perspective is the one for Audi. Their theme is how every competition produces a winner and a loser, and right now, Audi is the winner, and BMW the loser. Frankly, it's a pretty effective ad. Probably sells more cars for Audi than BMW will move by creating nostalgia for e9's and 507's.

acat2002

Reaction score
With a production of 1,5 M cars a year, BMW will never be an exclusive car.
It was 40 years ago but not any longer, with any fastfood employee driving a second hand car with a baseball cap turned backwards.
Fortunately our cars share very little with modern BMWs...

Agreed!
Also, it could be argued that new BMWs look like Toyotas/Nissans.....or maybe Toyotas and Nissans are made to emulate BMWs. Either way, there's nothing special about BMWs produced today. Mercedes is no better, their new lines are hideous also.

I remember when I was in high school in the 80s and any BMW was pretty special. My uncle had a Euro E28 that I thought was THE COOLEST! Even in bland Bronzit metallic, the car drew attention. Fast forward to 2010, new 5s are like high-end taxi-cabs. No matter how hard I try, I just can't see the beauty in the new 6 (no offense to anyone who owns one). All the prestige and allure left went away in the mid 90s.

I'm starting a new "off topic" thread http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6035 because you've got me thinking again about how bland/ubiquitous BMWs have become. Maybe "bland" isn't the correct term because some of the newer designs are pretty bold. But they're bold for the sake of being bold, not good ole school German utilitarian style. It's sort of like they've been trying TOO hard to be a fashion leader, when all that's happened is they've become just like all the rest.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Agreed!
Also, it could be argued that new BMWs look like Toyotas/Nissans.....or maybe Toyotas and Nissans are made to emulate BMWs. Either way, there's nothing special about BMWs produced today. Mercedes is no better, their new lines are hideous also.

Don't forget some of the new Porsche lineups too. A few days my wife saw a Panamera and said "look at that four door japanese car trying to look like a Porsche". When I posted that on the P site....one guy responded "ask your wife what she thinks now when you tell her its a $145k car!" So I did, her response... "boy thats an expensive japanese car but at least not as expensive as your VW on steroids".
It is sad that bmw does not try to promote their heritage with more adds using vintage cars. I am pretty sure they have done their research and they know that the new generation doesn't care about the older cars. Pussies on wheels...thats what they are...the new generation drivers not the cars and I am talking about the guys not the women. Heck, run to the Rennlist Porsche site and you will find out how some people find it okay to pay $600 (yes I said $600) for an oil and filter change on a 997. I think thats why they have to put the oil level change in the computer...they'll never find the dip stick.
abe