Bmw classic certificate

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I would post under e9 because more of you may opt to order one of these then us second class e3 owners LOL. Anyhow, I don't hear much about the BMW owners sending away for these as the vintage Porsche guys do. Main reason is BMW used their head and made the chassis number the same as the motor# DUH.......Never could figure out why they didn't do that and make it easy on everyone. So essentially there is no way of knowing for sure you have a matching# vintage Porsche motor unless you send away for a Cert. of Auth.

Second, Porsche gives out a lot more information on the cert. All BMW does is give you Manufacture date, Ship date, to Hoffman like all of them, matches VIN to color and motor/chassis# but we all know they are supposed to be the same. Porsche will give list of options that came with car etc. A/C, sunroof, FUCHS, steel wheels, interior, etc. Maybe BMW will add more stuff to these down the road. I know they have the information, not sure why they don't give that out (well I don't know for sure, just assume they do).

Maybe we can start sending nice letters to them when you request one of these to change they way they give out information. Anyhow, not that I wasn't sure I had an original Golf Bavaria, but it's kind of cool to get this I guess. They come with the Hologram sticker with the number of certificate in it. Just thought I would share as I have not been to a BMW gathering in a while and not sure if these are displayed with the cars or what? I know it is a requirement at some of the Porsche gatherings. Yes it's sort of trivial and unnecessary for the most part, it's not super hard to tell what original paint is without doing a little digging, but what the heck, I've spent money on worse things, won't go there now.....

Attachments

• BMW CERT1.jpg
    BMW CERT1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 914
  • BMW CERT.jpg
    BMW CERT.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,102
Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pay more for more detail

I think that there is an option to pay more and get a fuller description. However I just paid the minimum and got basic details, that was enough to get a historic rating and hence free UK road tax.
C

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shane, what did it cost? I don't think they have any more info on the US/NA cars, Hoffman did but his records are long gone. These are not required at CCA events and originality is not the same as the PCA events where they have marque/model experts who examine every nut, bolt and finish. If someone here can post a photo of a build sheet I would love to see one. To my knowledge BMW doesn't have codes for options like MB and Porsche.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, no you are exactly right!!!! $85 dollars and twelve cents. LOL. Don't forget the .12 cents. Ha. I just looked at my AMEX. They did have an option for double sided or something for more $$$ $100+, didn't really understand that? Only one single sided page anyways. There was no option to pay more for more information or I would have done that....not sure where that rumor started.

Shane, what did it cost? I don't think they have any more info on the US/NA cars, Hoffman did but his records are long gone. These are not required at CCA events and originality is not the same as the PCA events where they have marque/model experts who examine every nut, bolt and finish. If someone here can post a photo of a build sheet I would love to see one. To my knowledge BMW doesn't have codes for options like MB and Porsche.

wsk

Reaction score
Second, Porsche gives out a lot more information on the cert. All BMW does is give you Manufacture date, Ship date, to Hoffman like all of them, matches VIN to color and motor/chassis# but we all know they are supposed to be the same. Porsche will give list of options that came with car etc. A/C, sunroof, FUCHS, steel wheels, interior, etc. Maybe BMW will add more stuff to these down the road. I know they have the information, not sure why they don't give that out (well I don't know for sure, just assume they do).

Actually they DON'T have the information. I was told BMW tossed most of their records years ago during an office move. Whether that is true or not I don't know but I can say for sure I've never gotten much more than the things you mention, and sometimes not even that. This despite (in one case) lots of back and forth emails with Archiv about a significant car. At least I have not found any errors in the little that I have gotten from them, which is not something you can say about Porsche COAs.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They probably reprint the old Road & Track articles. I don't see this being any more valuable than Andreas' email which states the same thing.

It would be interesting to see how accurate those tech specs are from model to model, euro versus US, ect... for some reason I'm skeptical but hoping I'm wrong.

m73

Reaction score
Speculation...

We as a group (e9 owners) should find a 'dead' e9 and send the vin for the two pager...I am curious to find out if BMW really knows what it's talking about...

Just think we all pitch-in $1 each until 'x' amount and all this suspense would be over....

MF

TREMK

Reaction score
I sent to BMW archiv to find my build date for my cs. Also asked if they could tell me how many were painted 036 Riviera blue. I know it's a rare color, not sure how rare. Their response was '' One would have to count all the models in the delivery records individually, what we sadly cannot realize. We hope for your understanding." Sounds like they have records just not enough time for such a task? Mike

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
whats available from archiv

So am I reading too much into this..........that for European delivered cars you can get more than delivery date, dealer and color, maybe something akin to a build sheet if you know how to ask the right questions and pay the proper fee?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, you are assuming something they can't provide. Euro data includes dealer apparently which those in the US don't get.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
update...

So, I filled out the application and sent it in via email. I Received a prompt reply requesting supporting photos and proof of ownership (vin and engine # shots and title or Bill of Sale) that will then be forwarded to "the experts" for review because; "For the BMW 3.0 CSL we are somewhat restrictive with information, because these cars are often subject of falsification".

This is a little different than the P-car COA process and actually makes some sense since they're associating the car to a person with this document.

I've sent them lots of proof so we'll see what happens next.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andreas gives this same information for free. So we have to pay $85 for the BMW stationary?? I would think they would offer something for for the $85 they collect.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andreas gives this same information for free. So we have to pay $85 for the BMW stationary?? I would think they would offer something for for the $85 they collect.

The stationary! Some creative soul could probably make an adequate copy of the stationary.... Probably get sued:confused: