Blue Books in UK

Barnster

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here having purchased a '73 3.0 csi here in the UK. First car restoration for me, having built numerous kit cars and restored a Routemaster bus in my spare time!

Looking for the much referred to "Blue Books" which seem to be the bible for E9 owners.

Does anyone know of a set for sale in English? I've seen some on ebay in Germany but assume they will be in German and there was part 2 on ebay in the UK a few weeks back before I understood what it was!

Failing that, does anyone near Manchester, UK have a set that I could refer to for a couple of hours?

Cheers.

BS

MMercury

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here having purchased a '73 3.0 csi here in the UK. First car restoration for me, having built numerous kit cars and restored a Routemaster bus in my spare time!
Looking for the much referred to "Blue Books" which seem to be the bible for E9 owners.
Does anyone know of a set for sale in English? I've seen some on ebay in Germany but assume they will be in German and there was part 2 on ebay in the UK a few weeks back before I understood what it was!
Failing that, does anyone near Manchester, UK have a set that I could refer to for a couple of hours?
Cheers.BS

I have heard the shop manual is available on CD format and that some dealers (at least in the US) may sell them or have sold them. This is only what I have heard and cannot verify availability or the compatibility. Hint: some of these electronic format versions may appear on the auction sites and it couldn't hurt to contact a nearby dealer. The hard copy versions have popped up occasionally on this forum's classifieds any you might consider your own "WTB" post there.

Your actual need for the shop manual depends much on the extent of your restoration. Even for minor tasks, it couldn't hurt as it is chock full of information. However, if your car has major modifications/improvements, or you love large glossy colour photographs and diagrams - the manual may fall below your expectations.

Many owners manage to run and maintain their cars without this reference tool. Some things are fairly intuitive and there are several alternatives, including Haynes, Autobooks and others - including this forum. :wink:

Good luck!

Barnster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Would be interested in getting a copy for sure - there are always bits and pieces in these "Official manuals" that is glossed over by Hayes et al.

There was a similar "bible" for the Routemaster bus and it was simply priceless with the additional detail provided - no glossy pictures, just engineer drawings.

What is it's official title so I can do some thorough searching?

Regards

BS

MMercury

Reaction score

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The blue books are the factory service manuals, sent to BMW dealers and indy shops alike. That's actually how I got mine, a shop was cleaning house and sold off a lot of 10 blue books, including the set for the 2002 and the E9. I still have most of them, they have lots of good info. The orange books are the parts manuals/list.

A word of caution about the CD versions, though. The official versions are very finiky on modern hardware and software platforms, and several members have reported that they are incomplete compared to a stocked blue book. Most of them that I have seen go for ~150$ US for the set.

gazzol

Reaction score
Hello all,

Cheers.

BS

Hi Barnster I have a set that you can refer to and am near Preston in Lancs so just up the road. P.M. me in you are interested.
Regards gazzol

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW Reproduction Blue Manuals

In Feb. of 2007 I bought the two volumes of the repair manuals and they were reproductions. The printer, who did the reproductions, was from Norway but my contact was here in the USA. I met the printer here in California with his rep and over lunch he sold me his demo set for about $150.00. I think it was that cheap because he did not want to lug it all the way back to Norway. On a scale of 1-10 I would call the printing a 6-7. Everything is clear but there is no color and on the wiring diagrams that is a problem.

My contact here is Berit Wellman in Walnut Creek, Ca. tel# 925-932-1173. Her contact info is [email protected] I have not talked to her since the lunch but for those of you in Europe she could give you the printer's contact info in Norway. I don't have the CDs but I think the paper version is a much more practical and efficient solution.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards, Jon

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently acquired both volumes on eBay for $60. The binders are not in great shape, but all the pages are present, intact, and in excellent shape. Nicer sets go for about $150, and a "concours" set would most likely be $200+.

cobubas1

Reaction score
Blue Book

Hi Barnster, I am in the UK and the one who bought volume 2 of the blue book on ebay you refer to in your thread.
There is a complete set downloaded onto e9 driven.com.
Go to general e9 info page and select e9 repair manual and it will drop down for you.

I have a very good source for spares if you need anything.

Regards & good luck

Colin