Bilstein vs KYB shocks

heroszeros

Reaction score
I'm thinking to replace the shocks all around and noticed a huge difference in price between the KYB's and Bilstein shocks. Does anybody have experiences (positive/negative) with either brands?

jmackro

Reaction score
I have had negative experience with KYB Gas-A-just shocks.

Koni has been my preferred brand. Whether you buy Bilstein or Koni, do a Google search, visit a few websites, and do some comparison shopping. I bought Konis from ajusa.com a few years back, but don't guarantee they are the cheapest or best source. Shop around!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just googled them and they go for around $135 each for the front and $110 for the rear. I would call Carl Nelson or Mesa Performance.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put KYBs on my coupe as an interim fix to some frozen rock-solid OEMs. Got rid of them 300 mi later and put on Bilsteins. I'll never go back.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Shocks--Bilstein vs KYB

If you can--by Bilstein HD's--you will be pleased with the ride.

Many have said KYB = Kills Your Butt

audiomagnate

Reaction score
I have Bilstein HDs on my 2000CS along with TiSA sway bars and it is a VERY firm setup compared to stock (?) Boges I replaced. Night and day actually. A little too stiff IMO for extended interstate cruising but a real blast in the curves.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bilstein Shocks

In the current (March) issue of Roundel Magazine-- Mike Miller, Editor of TECH TALK discusses among a number of BMW tech topics--the relative merits of Bilstein vs Koni shocks on page(s) 103-104.

Based on my ownership of BMW's for almost 40 years I consider Mike to be one of the better authorities on BMW technical questions in the USA--including early to late models. He is Mr. Consistency and many BMWCCA member-owners have commented that his 3-5 pages of TT is their first and favorite section of Roundel that they read.

If you are not a member of BMWCCA I highly recommend same to all North American members of this board. This comes in spite of the frequent negative input from a former prolific poster on this site.

In case you want a sponsor to your BMWCCA membership just call 800-878-9292 and say---Murray Fowler #88131 sent me--it's a little money well spent and membership carries a number of benefits.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
PS to Bilsteins on the BLUMAX

Just checked BLUMAX service file. In 1995 at 299,000 miles I had Bilstein HD shocks installed on the BLUMAX--now at 414,000 they remain as new in feel and performance. Were vigorously tested yesterday on the way to and from Coffee 'n Cars--about 15 miles each way.

Guess I'll keep them!!