Best source for Rocker Panels?

rdholland

Reaction score
I am finishing up my overall plan to restore my 68 2000CS, having broken the parts car I found earlier this year and connecting with others here on the forum for advise, etc. This involves knowing the best source for most of the categories.

Some of this is kind of a no-brainer; I'm sending the brake calipers to Ben at LaJolla to be rebuilt, getting some cool parts from Jeff Ireland for the M10 re-do, etc.

I'm confused about some of the many opinions on rocker panel metal. I was thinking since it is still available new that I should get new panels for sure, as opposed to used and making cuts. Because of the structural importance of these, I would rather replace the whole length without any cuts. I am ready to order outer panels for both sides and the middle on the passenger side.

So, is W&N the only way to go here? I have not spoken to them yet although I do get their regular emails. Would the Mystics of this group recommend any other domestic source due to shipping? I have heard only good about W&N other than the obvious shipping costs. I thought while I am at it, I would add in a few other things like rear brake re-build / wheel cylinders, etc.

A final thought, although somewhat redundant; I am aware that there is good used metal available such as from Coupe King, etc. But realistically, labor is going to be the much larger investment here and my thinking is that even slightly compromised used metal that has been cleaned up is no replacement for virgin stuff.

Before I spend this $$ please correct or berate me as you see fit.

Thanks,
Rob

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Rob, no berating from me !. Yes, W&N are generally the way to go and I (like many people) get additional items that will be needed down the track to help defray the shipping cost. Prior to having the rust work done on my rocker panels/sills , I trawled the internet to source the cheapest prices as I needed to plan for worst case scenario and I believe W&N were "cheapest" . It came to pass that it was only the outer one that needed some work and it was repairable...still not cheap, but rust work never is .

Also, FWIW , I have just had delivered some outer covers for the rockers (the non structural bit )...they're made from fibreglass by Zaprace in the Uk and may be something to at least consider ....because they're lighter , I'm told I will get an extra 100km/hr...and no rust ! :)

No doubt others in your part of the world will have sage advice as to the best option(s) locally. Those of us Downunder are simply grateful we are no longer beholden to BMW who can ( with a straight face ) quote prices 400-500% higher than alternatives . Good luck .

Cheers, Simon

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Buy new!!

If you're paying someone else to do the work, I wouldn't bother with used metal.

There's no guarantee the parts weren't bent or shortened taking them out.

They invariably have some kind of rustproofing or paint that needs to be removed for proper welding, which of course, means time for your body man.

My opnion is that it's false economy to purchase used stuff. It's probably cheaper in the long run to buy new.

(I bought all my new sheet metal from W&N. You pay extra for the shipping, but they have it in stock, and they ship rather quickly. I thought the extra money was well spent)

rdholland

Reaction score
Thank you guys, that seems to further confirm what I thought to be the best course to take.

Rob

phead82

Reaction score
So are you ordering these panels then? Have you spoken/emailed with W&N and gotten any info on shipping costs?
I need both outer rear rockers (left and right) too.
Maybe a combined order makes sense to save shipping costs? Where are you located?

Phemisg

Reaction score
2000CS rockers

2800CS outer rockers will work on 2000 with some mods to front ends at A pillar. There are three pieces per side. Also 2800CS rear quarter panels fit, but with slightly larger wheel arch lip.

rdholland

Reaction score
So are you ordering these panels then? Have you spoken/emailed with W&N and gotten any info on shipping costs?
I need both outer rear rockers (left and right) too.
Maybe a combined order makes sense to save shipping costs? Where are you located?

I have not spoken to W&N yet. I did look the items up on their catalog but the diagrams are kind of sketchy. I want to talk with someone there before ordering for sure. I am in Anchorage, AK so I can't be much help to you with combined shipping I'm afraid. I am going to order for sure - I need both sides outer piece and the passenger middle ply.

Cheers,
Rob

rdholland

Reaction score
2800CS outer rockers will work on 2000 with some mods to front ends at A pillar. There are three pieces per side. Also 2800CS rear quarter panels fit, but with slightly larger wheel arch lip.

I have heard this before. That is one reason I want to talk with W&N before ordering. I have looked up these in their catalog specific to my 2000CS and therefore assume these to be the specific ones to my car without modification to the A Pillar. But I am not certain that they are just the same as the 2800CS ones.:confused:

Rob

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rocker panels

Hi Rob:
I bought my inner and outer rocker panels from Maximillian. the only parts available are for a 3.0 so the front of each piece has to be cut. After installing them on my first 2000,we decided to halt the project and purchased a better rust free shell. I believe I have one side left which has been cut and ready to intall. I also have access to my first car and will check to see if they are still in good shape,not sure since the car has been outdoors fot the last 4 or 5 years. I will look into this today and email you back.
I just looked up the info from Maxillian. I purchased them in Dec. of 99 inner panels were $298 each and outer panels were $248 each. These were genuine BMW parts and could still be available from BMW with a 20 or 25% discount to a BMW Club member.
Koopman

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rocker panels

Hi Rob:
I bought my inner and outer rocker panels from Maximillian. the only parts available are for a 3.0 so the front of each piece has to be cut. After installing them on my first 2000,we decided to halt the project and purchased a better rust free shell. I believe I have one side left which has been cut and ready to intall. I also have access to my first car and will check to see if they are still in good shape,not sure since the car has been outdoors fot the last 4 or 5 years. I will look into this today and email you back.
I just looked up the info from Maxillian. I purchased them in Dec. of 99 inner panels were $298 each and outer panels were $248 each. These were genuine BMW parts and could still be available from BMW with a 20 or 25% discount to a BMW Club member.
Koopman