Best inside car cover?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
She's home and she's dry and inside...I was curious about the board's thoughts as to their favorite inside-only car cover. I bought a previously-owned ( the word is frugal, or smart, not cheap..) Wolf for my 2002, that I really like, and was curious as to other's experiences with Wolf/others for the best for the best value. Heck, I'd even consider a good previously-owned one if someone got a new fancy one for Christmas. I'm more concerned with whats under the cover than the look of the cover. Hope everyone had a great holiday, even the Polaris Polecat's PO. Dave V. in NC

psychrunner

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to post the same question re: car covers. How does one order in terms of size to fit the e9? Would it be a custom cover or is there a universal one that needs to be ordered based on measurement? Do other modern day BMW covers fit our e9's?
Thanks
psychrunner

Jonathan

Reaction score
Griot's Garage has a nice inside (and outside) car cover. Their customer service is outstanding. I just ordered a cover for one of my coupes and the fit was good but not custom good. None of the car catalogers (Griot's, Bev. Hills...) will have a truly custom fit but you will pay well over $500 for truly custom. A good cover from one of these catalogers runs @ $250.

-Jonathan

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I bought a custom fit outdoor cover over 10 years ago from California Car Covers.I just checked their website and they still offer them.

kealaiki

Reaction score
Car Cover

I favor the Cotton/Poly cover sold by Auto Chic (www.autochic.com). The fit is outstanding and the fabric composition, in an indoor setting is perfect. They have a standing ad in Roundel.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought the Dustop model from California Car Covers, made for indoor use. It is soft and the fit is excellent, I wish it had mirror pockets though. About $200 I think.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't help but jab Malc regarding a cover I saw on ebay a little while ago. Beautiful cover, I'm sure it sold for much less than it's original cost-

http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2458

I have heard of these "car bags" that utilize dessicant moisture control but I don't have any experience with them-

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/2400/cid/130/sc/2737

Also keep in mind, electronic corrosion control while in storage. Again, no personal experience, but may have merit. Maybe someone here can provide testimony-

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/ruststop-kit.htm

Happy New Year to All!

Mario L.

Reaction score
If there is enough interest I can do a group buy on indoor cover, made by Auto Chic as I sell their stuff and buy from them frequently

I'll need atleast 5 buyers .. . we just did a 930 Turbo . . that's a Porsche
:wink: for under $200.00

Quality piece !

a note on covers . .if your car has been recently refinished, within 1 year . . DO NOT cover the car . .

Paint is still outgassing and a cover can leave a pattern in the finish!

let it get dusty, and wash it it in spring :( I know water and CS Coupes . . like feeding the rust . .

Happy New Year to all!

piezopaul

Reaction score
plastic bag cover.

What happens with that cover if you go on a trip and the power goes out or a circuit breaker trips. Do you have a big plastic bag laying on your car's paint until you get back? What does THAT do to the finish?- Paul :o

Mario L.

Reaction score
Paul brings up a very valid concern. I have seen several repaints suffer from contact with car covers . . and even original paint suffer when there is entrapped air under plastic . surpisingly in the area where the cover material makes contact with the paint.

There are sealed bags that can be connected to dry air pressurized cylinders, with the pressure maintained by a gas regulator just above atmosphere . . . but these cost sustantialy more money.

IMO, ventialtion and a secure storage area , . . and low humidity is best, w/o a cover that entraps anything. Loose cotton flannel covers breath well and won't sctach a clean car.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
inside car cover?

Please excuse my ignorance. If your car is parked inside a climate controlled (cozy) area, why the need for a special car cover in the first place? I would think there be only two major concerns: dust and avoidance of superficial dings and scrapes. If that be the case, I would think a cotton bed spread or comforter might do the trick.

Speaking from personal experience, I have two garaged cars in addition to an E9 that unfortunately sits outside. The outside vehicle get the beverly hills car cover that someone else spoke of here. I hate having it washed and hate the idea of putting it on or taking it off with wet leaves etc., In fact, I have started using a large drop cloth just to keep the moisture off the car cover! I had a portable carport built for the car, but it probably poses more of a danger to the car than the weather so I will typically use it to avoid sun.

Just my 2 cents worth!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
inside cover

Ignorance forgiven. Car was painted over a year ago (thanks, Mario, as I have a 2002 coming home this month with 3-month-old paint), is in a heated, dry, garage that has 6" pad, with thick mil plastic under-layment. Very dry. You are right that I could improvise (mom always said "you could make that..."). I think I still have access to some soft, blue non-woven stuff that I was told is used to make disposable scrubs for hospitals. I've always used it for anti-frost purposes for the garden since its not a plastic,and is pretty much H2O-proof; and for drop cloth on antique furniture. I suppose I could make a template and have one sewn for cheap;(they still make a little furniture around here), it weighs nada, and yes you are correct regarding the two culprets, dust and scratching,etc. The stuff probably doesn't breath that well, but I think some creative baffles/vents shouldn't be that hard to engineer. Might be smart to keep it a "sloppy" fit. Thanks for jump-starting my brain.
Or...If Mario can do something in the $135 range, my interest is piqued a bit more. There ain't a whole lot TO a car cover with this purpose in mind. Cotton bedsheet it is, for the interim. Thanks to all, Dave V. in NC

piezopaul

Reaction score
car cove

Dave-
I keep my old cars (2) in a garage with a sears type dehumidifier running. I don't believe temp fluctuations are very harmful as long as low humidity and little uv radiation are present. Haven't had mold and don't think (Please Lord!) I'm getting rust. I do have to empty the humidifier once a week or so. Griots and others make spray on liquid treatments which can be used to lift dust with a cotton cloth between waxings. The cars are not out in the rain so they dont get very dirty. I've always been suspicious of putting any fabric against paint since over time it will get dirty, dusty and scratchy. - Paul

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario - which AutoChic cover are you proposing?

I presume this would be custom - ? cotton/poly, ? mirror covers, which group on Autochic? Thanks.

Mario L.

Reaction score
Car Covers would be the custom Poly Cotton, and the price would be $113.00 plus shipping,
These are price group 3
I need a minimum of 5 orders to make this group buy.